Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Vs VCS

bobby.jacob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello TP Experts,

As per the CUCM 8.6 release notes its seems we could add all the Tandberg endpoints to CUCM, can i know what are the advantages registering Tanberg endpoints on CUCM 8.6 than registering to a Tandberg VCS ?

1)Do all the features on CUCM are compatable with Tandberg Endpoints?

2)How we could configure MCU for Multi Conferences?

3)Can we integrate CUCM with TMS?

4)Do content server can integrate with CUCM?

Cheers!

Bobby

5 Replies 5

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bobby,

3) You can add CUCM managed systems to TMS after adding the CUCM itself. But TMS only does scheduling for CUCM managed systems; you will not get phonebooks, conference monitoring, reporting, configuration templates and all of the other stuff which TMS normally does.

Regards,

Kjetil

Thanks Mr.Ree,

Can i know, what are the advantages if i register with CUCM 8.6 rather purchasing VCS for my Tandberg endpoints?

Bobby-

Dear Bobby,

Do yo solve your problem (no 4) ?

You may see more advantages with upcoming software release for both Endpoint and infrastructure products, but may see less advantage immediately especially with CUCM version 8.6.

One advantage I can quickly think about is Ad hoc conference management on CUCM which utilize MCU video port smarter than VCS multiway conference (as CUCM de-escalate the conference call once participates on conference become “2”).

There is of course other advantage for CUCM, like bulk registration, shared lines support, flexible call forwarding configuration, dial number analyzer, etc., but same time there is number of features on VCS that haven’t supported or migrated to CUCM yet as well.

For #4, I have posted same answer on https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2184845?tstart=0 and https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2144864?tstart=0 where had same/similar discussion.

Firstly  TCS recommend to deploy with VCS for current release software although I  have managed to record the video session on TCS while SIP trunk  directly between CUCM and call from SIP UA registered on CUCM.

SO  please note TCS admin guide listed needs of using VCS as requirement to  function properly, meaning even this works doesn’t mean officially  supported.

On CUCM

• Configure SIP Trunk between TCS (i.e TCSTrunk)
  • Configure Route Patterns for recording alias (i.e. 440X and select SIP trunk from “Gateway/Route List” pull down list)

On TCS

• Configure SIP address (URL) on recording alias (i.e. 4401@172.16.1.50:5060, assume 172.16.1.50 is CUCM IP address and using TCP for SIP signaling).

Then dial recording alias (i.e. 4401) from SIP UA registered on CUCM.

You will see recording countdown and session will record on TCS.

Below is example for using IPC and dialing into TCS recording alias.

BTW, I tested with CUCM9.0.1 and TCS 5.3 software release, but assume have same result even with CUCM8.6.2.