cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual-Homed conference with CMS and Lync

Stephen Carr
Level 1
Level 1

has anyone setup using a Lync Edge setup for dual-homed conferences? The instructions don't seem super clear as to whether you give the Lync Pool FQDN or a Front End Pool FQDN. I'm doing this through the API and when I think I have everything set correct and check status it says the "turnServerDoesNotExist". I would like to use the IVR and Lync Edge Dual-Home functionality to I can have CMS clients dial Lync meeting IDs but have not had success (again after following all the steps in the guide).

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You only need to use serverAddress when configuring Lync Edge using the API, not all fields in the /turnServers node will apply in this case, here are the fields that you need to configure:

• serverAddress
  • username
  • type
  • numRegistrations

Correct, you do not need to input a password for the Lync client user because the Lync FE trusts the Call Bridge.

Once you have the Lync Edge settings configured, check the Lync Edge registrations in the web admin interface under Status > General, it should show something similar to:

• # configured
  • # completed successfully
  • # in progress

You should see in the logs something similar to below:

TURN server 1: starting up "serverAddress" (configured object 52965bca-7756-49c1-ba32-aec93ffd3893)
Lync Edge server "serverAddress" registration starting
Lync Edge server "serverAddress" registration complete (media traversal, conference resolution, conference creation)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to set the Lync Edge settings either in the web admin interface or the API, you need to enter the address or hostname of the Lync Front End Server.  You also need to create a Lync user client that CMS can use to register to the Lync FE so that it can lookup user/conference IDs and utilize Lync Edge for TURN services.

• Web Admin: Configuration > General configuration > Lync Edge settings
  • API: POST to /turnServers node

Take a look at the "Lync Edge server integration" section of the CMS Configuration Guides for reference.

thanks for the reply. As I have a split deployment I tried the API way first by creating a TURN server of type "lyncEdge" with a FE pool FQDN as the clientAddress and ServerAddress with the SIP address of the user I created in Lync for this. I've tried the numRegistrations at 0 and 1

when I run a status GET on that Turn server ID I get doesNotExist

Based on the documentation I shouldn't need the password I'm assuming.

In the logs I see:

TURN server 4: need released registration 0
Lync Edge server 4 ("fepool.domain.com") modified (0 added, 0 removed )

so it seems to look good but again, status doesn't work. I'm still a bit confused how to even use it though as I try to call a conference ID for Lync from a CMS client but it never goes anywhere. Should I be able to just dial the ID? I've changed the IVR and WebBridge settings to allowed (and adjusted the incoming calls to Target Lync=yes) as required in the guide but no luck

Steve

You only need to use serverAddress when configuring Lync Edge using the API, not all fields in the /turnServers node will apply in this case, here are the fields that you need to configure:

• serverAddress
  • username
  • type
  • numRegistrations

Correct, you do not need to input a password for the Lync client user because the Lync FE trusts the Call Bridge.

Once you have the Lync Edge settings configured, check the Lync Edge registrations in the web admin interface under Status > General, it should show something similar to:

• # configured
  • # completed successfully
  • # in progress

You should see in the logs something similar to below:

TURN server 1: starting up "serverAddress" (configured object 52965bca-7756-49c1-ba32-aec93ffd3893)
Lync Edge server "serverAddress" registration starting
Lync Edge server "serverAddress" registration complete (media traversal, conference resolution, conference creation)

thanks, the Status stuff is really helpful. I hadn't noticed that info there. Based on that things look good as I see:

Lync Edge registrations 3 configured, 2 releasing, 1 completed successfully

So, it looks like the API "status" is not applicable to lyncEdge turn servers then

I'll try to do some IVR->Lync conference ID calls and see how it goes then

thanks much

Steve