Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway Issue with initial configuration

aliasgarad
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

We are installing expressway C & E which are OS based and do not contain ESXi. We have not used the SFP ports (LAN1 ,LAN2) instead we are using Ethernet ports (LAN3,LAN4). In the initial configuration and while configuring IPv4 address, it is taking by default LAN1 address and it shuts down LAN3 & LAN4 ports. Are these ports still active? We want to use the normal ethernet cards only. Is there a way we can assign IPv4 for LAN3 or LAN4. In the initial config it is not allowing to change the LAN number. Need assistance here for installation of Exp C&E.

Thank you in advance.

12 Replies 12

Randy Valverde Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aliasgarad,

I'm not sure what you are tryng to install the software on but I dont think theres is a way to configure it to use lan3/4, you might be able to configure an IP to them through root but the software will always look to use LAN1 and LAN2.

Up to date the other interfaces have not been used, with some creativity you might use them for administration purposes but not for main functions on the expressways.

If you manage you get the hardware to tag the ethernet interfaces as 1 and 2 while SFP ports boot up as 3 and 4 it could work. Tis might be very complicated though.

The interfaces are not shut down but are not used by the system, though are required as part of the bootup process (you'll get a hardware error and fail to boot if those are not active).

Someone else might have a better idea but I've never seen this done before.

Dear Patrick / Randy,

When i power on the CE1100 expressway and connect to the KVM ports, it automatically opens up the initial root configuration page that means it does not have ESXi installed on it. It is OS based right? Please check the attached screenshot. 

I require the expressway to use the ethernet ports for all the functions as we have connected them to a 2960 serverfarm switch. I do not have SFP's to connect to fiber ports.

Thank you

Okay, Expressway on the CE1100 isn't virtual, so there is no ESXI, I was thinking you were installing it virtually. It's actually a bare metal installation directly on the UCS hardware. 

The CE1100 Install guide says you must use LAN 1 and 2, which are the SFP ports.

Any workaround to make the use of ethernet ports?

We connected SFP's and the link is up but I am not able to ping the LAN 1 IP. I am able to ping the gateway from my pc but not the Expressway IP. Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Did you connect to the server via serial, KVM, or CIMC and then run through the install wizard which will configure the network settings?  Verify you have everything connected and configured correct per the Expressway Install Guides.

We did with CIMC and all the connections and settings are applied according to the install guides. I am still unable to ping the IP which is assigned to Lan1 port.

Hi

We tested with 10Gb SFP's and things were not working. We then connected 1Gb SFP and it started working. My question is when i have the below SFP Adapter & slot in expressway then why isn't 10Gb SFP supported? Is there any specific configuration?

EXP-N2XX-AIPCI01 Intel X520 Dual Port 10Gb SFP+ Adapter

Are you using the same SFP type in both ports, as you can't mix the type of SFPs used?

The SFPs do not auto negotiate the speed, so make sure that they are connected to a switch at the correct speed.

Have you tried one of the other SFPs sipped with the CE1000:

• EXP-1GSFP-T - 1 Gigabit Ethernet SFP Module 10/100/1000BASE-T
  • EXP-10GSFP-SR - 10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP Module 10GBASE-SR SFP+ SR Optics

Well I haven't recevied any SFP's with CE1100 & there is no such part number under my BOQ as well. We took SFP from other project & checked with 10G & 1G. 10G didn't work & 1G worked. Are the SFP's different for any type of materials, if so then 1G shouldnt work either? Same SFP types are used at both ports.

In the install guide for the CE1100 there is a components section that outlines all the parts that make up the Expressway CE1100 appliance, in it are above mentioned SFPs.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Don't know how you're installing the Expressway VM, but ESXI is a requirement.

When the Expressway OVA is installed, it allocates 3 virtual NICs:

• the first is used for the standard LAN 1 interface
  • the second is used if Dual Network interfaces is enabled (LAN 2)
  • the third is reserved for future use

Expressway Install Guides