cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Websnapshots when system is in Standby with TC7.1.x

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We used to be able to view the websnapshots of the video from the cameras on TC software based endpoints which was very useful, but since upgrading to TC7.1.x, this functionality has disappeared and we now just get a "System is in Standby" message.

One of the uses we had for the snapshots was to give us an overall view on a web page of all of our rooms at a quick glance, but since TC7.1.x we now just get a grey shadow person.

There is no mention in any of the release notes that the websnapshot functionality is changing/has changed with the TC7.1.x releases.

Downgrading the codec to TC7.0.x or TC6.x restores the functionality, but that's not an ideal solution.

Another "workaround" is to stop the codecs going in to standby - which again, isn't a good solution, as then the codec doesn't go to sleep, so none of the displays turn off, etc.

The bug I opened (CSCuo40784) has been closed with a "No release planned to fix this bug" which is disappointing - but seems to be a common theme at the moment with the endpoint team - removing features and making it harder for people who have been long term users of Cisco devices to support their environments effectively.

It's be really good if this functionality could be returned - or an option given to turn it on/off for those that want it to behave one way or the other.

PS.  It still works great on the older MXP devices.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

4 Replies 4

jrandby
Level 1
Level 1

Wayne,

We have reopened the bug and are looking into this again. Possibly we may create a configuration to control this.

Thanks,

Johan

Hi Wayne

This will not be changed. It is an intentional change due to privacy concerns (a system in standby should not capture images of the people in the meeting room). 

-Johan

Hi Johan,

Is there any chance this decision could be changed now that we're, with the TC7.3.3+ software versions, forced to purchase a Remote Monitoring Key to say we don't have a "Privacy Issue" and can look at the snapshots on our endpoints - it would be good if we could see them while they're in standby again too - while it may be an issue in some places, it is certainly not a privacy issue here.  Especially when all other models of endpoint in the environment (ie, the Edge 95 MXPs, Polycom endpoints, anything pre-TC7.1, etc) allow this.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks Johan,

Initially giving with a “we may create a configuration to control this”, to a later, we’re not going to change it as “it is an intentional change due to privacy concerns”, I am not happy with the outcome.  I’m not sure how the privacy concerns are any different depending on whether the codec is in a standby state or not. 

Again, this is functionality we have been using for a couple of years on the C series codecs, and for as long as I can remember on the MXP series codecs – to now have someone decide that it’s no longer going to be available (and to have it removed without any prior notice or a valid workaround) is very disappointing.

Surely it would be a simple thing to add a configuration to enable/disable this, as I’d suggested previously, and as Johan had suggested as well in the forums.

I would like Cisco to seriously reconsider this and to re-enable these snapshots, with or without a configuration option to enable it for those who want it (and have it as defaulting off for everyone else).

Wayne
--

Wayne