cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIM Sparse Mode

gregorjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I think I know the answer to this question already, but will ask anyways.  I understand in a normal PIM sparse-mode network, one of the routers that is directly connected to the same network as the source will become the DR (Designated Router) and a backup will be selected if more than one PIM-SM router is on the subnet.  This DR will be responsible for encaspulating the data from the sender and sending to the RP.  Now lets say that the network that the source is on is not configured for PIM Sparse Mode.  But rather PIM Dense Mode and they are flooding the data across into a new network.  Can this new network somehow elect a DR and send the traffic to an RP that it has defined?  In other words, this new network does not have any directly connected multicast senders.  Any way to make this conversion from dense mode to sparse mode?

2 Replies 2

gregorjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

So in other words, can a designated router be defined for a source that is on a different subnet?  Or does the source and designated router have to be on the same subnet?

Further clarification.  Can PIM Register Messages be sent by a PIM DR that is not directly connected to the source.