cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ports needed to be opened on the firewall for VCS-E Ver.X8.8.2

matbarcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Our VCS-E running on X8.8.2 needs to be allowed on the firewall for traversal calls. I requested my Firewall team to open the ports from 1024 to 65535. But they are not opening such a big range and wants me to specify the actual ports needed for this VCS-E to do firewall traversal calls. I am bit confused with the actual ports needed for firewall traversal as I am not a firewall guy.. Could you please let me know the actual ranges needed ? Thanks !

2 Replies 2

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ports are listed in the VCS X8.8.2 Admin Guide starting on pg 389.

You tend to get this a lot when firewall guys see the ports that need to be opened, but the thing to remember is that most of the large ranges that VCS needs are for *source* ports, not destination ports.  Most firewall rules you see around for non-video applications don't even specify a source port, meaning the source port is completely unrestricted, but when firewall guys see the large VCS source range they tend to be a bit skittish, even if they usually don't restrict it at all .

It's often easier to get firewall guys on board if you just give them the destination ports, they will then tend to leave the source ports unrestricted anyway.