Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting a password MCU 8510

Oscar Rebolledo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to reset the administrator password MCU 8510, steps to this process.

MCU 8510 version 4.1

Regards,

Oscar R.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi friend,

If you have forgotten your password for your Cisco acquired TANDBERG/Codian product you need to restore the unit to its factory settings to reset it. This will remove all configuration, including passwords.

When restoring your unit to the factory settings you will need a copy of your activation keys. If you don't have them, contact Cisco customer support. When you contact Cisco customer support you will need to provide the serial number and MAC address of your unit. This information is found on a label on the unit's back panel.

To return your unit to its factory settings and reset the password:

1. Connect a serial terminal to your unit's console port using the settings given on the back panel label.
  2. Reboot the unit and watch the output on the serial terminal. After a few seconds you will see the message 'Cisco TelePresence MCU 8510 4.2(0.36) (Build 6.17(0.36)) starting' or similar.
  3. Type reset_config and press Enter. (Type reset_password and press Enter if using an IP Gateway. Note this command can be used at any point, not just when the unit is rebooting, and no settings except the admin password details will be restored.)
  4. Type yes or y and press Enter. The unit will now reboot again.
  5. When bootup is complete, type status on the serial terminal to see the IP address that the unit has acquired using DHCP. Alternatively, set a static IP address on port A using the static command.
  6. Connect to the web interface of the unit and log in using 'admin' and no password. A warning message on the web page banner will tell you that a product activation key is required.
  7. Go to Settings > Upgrade and enter the unit's activation keys. After the activation keys are applied, you will be able to use your unit again.

To change the password, go to Users.

Reference - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/articles/cisco_telepresence_resetting_password_restoring_factory_settings_kb_13.shtml

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi friend,

If you have forgotten your password for your Cisco acquired TANDBERG/Codian product you need to restore the unit to its factory settings to reset it. This will remove all configuration, including passwords.

When restoring your unit to the factory settings you will need a copy of your activation keys. If you don't have them, contact Cisco customer support. When you contact Cisco customer support you will need to provide the serial number and MAC address of your unit. This information is found on a label on the unit's back panel.

To return your unit to its factory settings and reset the password:

1. Connect a serial terminal to your unit's console port using the settings given on the back panel label.
  2. Reboot the unit and watch the output on the serial terminal. After a few seconds you will see the message 'Cisco TelePresence MCU 8510 4.2(0.36) (Build 6.17(0.36)) starting' or similar.
  3. Type reset_config and press Enter. (Type reset_password and press Enter if using an IP Gateway. Note this command can be used at any point, not just when the unit is rebooting, and no settings except the admin password details will be restored.)
  4. Type yes or y and press Enter. The unit will now reboot again.
  5. When bootup is complete, type status on the serial terminal to see the IP address that the unit has acquired using DHCP. Alternatively, set a static IP address on port A using the static command.
  6. Connect to the web interface of the unit and log in using 'admin' and no password. A warning message on the web page banner will tell you that a product activation key is required.
  7. Go to Settings > Upgrade and enter the unit's activation keys. After the activation keys are applied, you will be able to use your unit again.

To change the password, go to Users.

Reference - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/articles/cisco_telepresence_resetting_password_restoring_factory_settings_kb_13.shtml

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Alternately, if you have a backup of your MCU configuration, it is easier to remember the password. The backup of MCU configuration is just a basic text xml archive. If you open the xml backup file you can use any text editor to find the password, just search for "password" withinthe file, your password will be there in clear text.

Paulo Souza

Hi,

The backup is before password change, I can not use the second option.

With the first option is rebooting the MCU and are no taking me reset_config command.

Thanks for the collaboration, I'll try again.

You are welcome!

Paulo Souza