Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some VCS clustering questions

I currently have 2 x VCS controls which are not clustered.  All our endpoints register to a single VCS via IP address at the moment, but we have tested the DNS SRV record method outlined in the VCS cluster creation and maintenance guide and it all works OK so far.  We are now getting ready to turn our VCS deployment into a cluster,

I have a few questions;

Once we cluster the two VCS's together, can we still use IP addresses for certain endpoints etc, or do we have to use hostnames?  As an example, we may only want the Site A MCU to be able to use the Site A VCS.  In addition, we connect to other organisation's VCS's  who do not have access to our DNS and they may wish to continue to use IP addresses.  Obviously the limitation on this is that anything which still used IP addresses would only be able to use that  VCS.

There are various references to "Provisioning Extension Mode" which requires TMS 13.2, which of course is not yet released.  Should I be waiting for TMS 13.2 before clustering?

I know that I will need to point all my endpoints to a hostname rather than IP address as well as set up DNS SRV records - are there any other "Gotchyas" I should know about before turning this into a cluster?

Any help much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nick,

You can use the IP-address after the cluster, however using DNS srv is recommended practise.

Also you would like to check the appendix given in the cluster deployment guide for endpoint registration using IP-address of VCS. I am parting the snippet for you belo:

Option 3 – Static IP (least preferred)

Use this option if the Cisco VCS cluster does not have a DNS name.

On each H.323 endpoint configure the Gatekeeper Settings as:

 Discovery = Manual

 IP Address = IP address of a Cisco VCS peer

On startup the endpoint will try and register with the VCS at the specified IP address. If that is not available, then the endpoint will continue trying at regular intervals.

This will be repeated until the endpoint can register with the Cisco VCS. On registering with the Cisco VCS, the Cisco VCS will respond with the H.323 “Alternate Gatekeepers” list containing the list of Cisco VCS Cluster peer members.

The endpoint will continue to use the first Cisco VCS that it registered to for re-registrations and for calls. If it ever loses connection then it will select an “Alternate Gatekeeper” from the list it was supplied with.

I hope it clarifies your doubts.

Thanks

Alok

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nick,

You can use the IP-address after the cluster, however using DNS srv is recommended practise.

Also you would like to check the appendix given in the cluster deployment guide for endpoint registration using IP-address of VCS. I am parting the snippet for you belo:

Option 3 – Static IP (least preferred)

Use this option if the Cisco VCS cluster does not have a DNS name.

On each H.323 endpoint configure the Gatekeeper Settings as:

 Discovery = Manual

 IP Address = IP address of a Cisco VCS peer

On startup the endpoint will try and register with the VCS at the specified IP address. If that is not available, then the endpoint will continue trying at regular intervals.

This will be repeated until the endpoint can register with the Cisco VCS. On registering with the Cisco VCS, the Cisco VCS will respond with the H.323 “Alternate Gatekeepers” list containing the list of Cisco VCS Cluster peer members.

The endpoint will continue to use the first Cisco VCS that it registered to for re-registrations and for calls. If it ever loses connection then it will select an “Alternate Gatekeeper” from the list it was supplied with.

I hope it clarifies your doubts.

Thanks

Alok