Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 it says max number of calls reached

akoukis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we have a SX20 with a strange issue it makes only one video call and when we try to call another participant it says  "Max number of calls reached".

From the SystemUnit Status we see the following 

Software

• Endpoint
  • s52010
  • 2015-01-26
  • true
  • TC7.3.1.8a4696f

Is any way to change this MaxVideoCalls 1, I try from CLI but I didn't find any command.

Regards

Anestis Koukis

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All Cisco codecs are hardcoded to only allow 1 video call, and an additional 1 audio only call.  Something that cannot be changed.  If you need to connect more than 2 video calls to a single endpoint, you'll need to either purchase the Multisite license that will allow you to use the internal bridge of the SX20, or use an external conferencing bridge such as an MCU or TelePresence Server.

View solution in original post

I did some testing and you can make a Multiway call through the CLI using SSH, below is an outline of what I did.

1. Call the first endpoint: xCommand Dial Number.  The output from the dial will present a CallID, remember this ID number for later.
    xCommand Dial Number: ep1@example.com
    OK
    *r DialResult (status=OK):
        CallId: 3
        ConferenceId: 2
    ** end
  2. Put the first call on hold: xCommand Call Hold CallId.  Since you're not calling from the endpoint itself, it will throw the max calls error just like the web interface.
    xCommand Call Hold CallId: 3
    OK
    *r HoldResult (status=OK):
    ** end

3. Call the second endpoint: xCommand Dial Number.  The output from the dial will present a CallID, remember this ID number for later.
    xCommand Dial Number: ep2@example.com
    OK
        CallId: 4
    ** end
  4. Join the first call that is on hold with the second that is active, and the host endpoint.  If the codec is setup correct to use Multiway, and your Conductor is as well, it should escalate the conference to your bridge.
    xCommand Call Join CallId: 0 CallId: 3 Callid: 4
    OK
    *r JoinResult (status=OK):
    ** end
    Note: CallId: 0 is the endpoint hosting the calls that is performing the escalation using Multiway.

Hope it works, let me know.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All Cisco codecs are hardcoded to only allow 1 video call, and an additional 1 audio only call.  Something that cannot be changed.  If you need to connect more than 2 video calls to a single endpoint, you'll need to either purchase the Multisite license that will allow you to use the internal bridge of the SX20, or use an external conferencing bridge such as an MCU or TelePresence Server.

Ok, thanks for that info I didn't know it.

We have configure the SX20 to use multiway but how I can test it if the SX20 can not make more than 1 video call?

Do you have a VCS or Conductor to use with Multiway?  If so, and have configured it correctly, you would connect to the first participant, then call the second which will put the first on hold, after the second connects, you should be prompted with a Join option to join yourself and the other two participants together on an MCU or TelePresence Server, however you have Multiway setup.

Hi Patrick

We use Conductor for multiway but it is possible to make those test steps you describe through the web interface? It is not possible for us to have local access to the endpoint and use remote control.

I don't know if it's possible, I just tried it and couldn't.

Thanks Patrick, one last question do you know if this limitation of the web interface is also in the Edge95?

I did some testing and you can make a Multiway call through the CLI using SSH, below is an outline of what I did.

1. Call the first endpoint: xCommand Dial Number.  The output from the dial will present a CallID, remember this ID number for later.
    xCommand Dial Number: ep1@example.com
    OK
        CallId: 3
    ** end
  2. Put the first call on hold: xCommand Call Hold CallId.  Since you're not calling from the endpoint itself, it will throw the max calls error just like the web interface.
    xCommand Call Hold CallId: 3
    OK
    *r HoldResult (status=OK):
    ** end

3. Call the second endpoint: xCommand Dial Number.  The output from the dial will present a CallID, remember this ID number for later.
    xCommand Dial Number: ep2@example.com
    OK
        CallId: 4
    ** end
  4. Join the first call that is on hold with the second that is active, and the host endpoint.  If the codec is setup correct to use Multiway, and your Conductor is as well, it should escalate the conference to your bridge.
    xCommand Call Join CallId: 0 CallId: 3 Callid: 4
    OK
    *r JoinResult (status=OK):
    ** end
    Note: CallId: 0 is the endpoint hosting the calls that is performing the escalation using Multiway.

Hope it works, let me know.

Hi Patrick,

it worked ,thank you very much for your help.

The SX20 creates a call to the multiway when we enter the join command and the Conductor creates a conference room but it last only for 2 sec. We are going to open a tac case for this.

I have one last question do you know if the Edge95 has also an API guide to do the same test.

Regards,

Anestis

I did some testing with Edge95 and the steps are similar

1st From Edge95 you call an endpoint like below

xcommand dial number:20498 netprofile:7 -->this is the default profile for sip call  

*r Result (status=OK):
     CallRef: 1 --> this is the id of the call
     LogTag: 10
*r/end

2nd You put this call in hold

xcommand callhold 1 

*r Result (status=OK): /
*r/end

OK

3rd You call the second endpoint 

xcommand dial number: 20497 netprofile:7

*r Result (status=OK):
     CallRef: 2 -->this is the id of the second call
     LogTag: 11
*r/end

OK
connect

4th Now you can Join this two call with the following command

xcommand calljoin

*r Result (status=OK): /
*r/end

OK

The multiway was successful as it was with SX20 but we facing the same issue with the Conductor. 

Thanks again Patrick for the help.

Hi Patrick, i understand what you are saying but that is if you are attempting two video calls. When attempting to connect a second audio call via the device or GUI it says max calls reached?

I have another SX20 running like for like software, option keys and settings and i don't have this issue on the other system.

When you hover your mouse over the area to add an additional call its actually grayed out?

See attached .jpeg

Look forward to your response.

Regards,

Brad

Please see your other thread here for a responce, sx20-codec-max-calls-reached-after-one-audio-call-connected.