cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 network port stopped working after upgrade (partially works?)

hax
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, this is a weird one - hoping someone can help fix this issue for me. So here's what happened:

I have an SX20 that was running TC7.3.8something and worked perfectly. I factory reset it, logged in to the DHCP-assigned IPv4 address, and proceeded with upgrading to the latest TC7.3.20 build.

Here's where it starts acting funny. First, the upload failed on the first try about halfway in, and the page refreshed and made me log in again. So I logged in and ran the file upload all over again.

The second try worked, and the SX20 upgraded as expected and did not show any errors. However, after it finished booting, it no longer would obtain an IPv4 address through DHCP. Additionally, when I set a static IP address, it would not appear on the network and traffic sent to it would time out.

So I got myself connected to the serial console via the camera port, and ran systemtools network ifconfig. At this point, it showed me eth0 as well as eth0.5, and eth0.5 had my static IP on it (which wouldn't connect).

I noticed that both eth0 and eth0.5 had the same link-local IPv6 address, so I decided to try and load it in my browser, and surprise - it worked. This is where I am now - I tried another factory reset, re-uploading the new firmware, endless combinations of static IP addresses and manual port speed configurations, and I'm stumped because this thing will not pass IPv4. does anyone have any ideas for me, and know why it was working just fine on the old firmware?

Halp!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hax
Level 1
Level 1
I guess I have solved it, although I'm not totally sure why it happened in the first place. After much bumbling around in the config, I realized that eth0.5 meant it was using a VLAN, which I hadn't assigned. I then discovered that my switch supports CDP and the SX20 had CDP enabled, so it was automatically pulling a voice vlan of 5, even though we don't use that here. So I disabled CDP and it started working normally again. Weird!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

hax
Level 1
Level 1
I guess I have solved it, although I'm not totally sure why it happened in the first place. After much bumbling around in the config, I realized that eth0.5 meant it was using a VLAN, which I hadn't assigned. I then discovered that my switch supports CDP and the SX20 had CDP enabled, so it was automatically pulling a voice vlan of 5, even though we don't use that here. So I disabled CDP and it started working normally again. Weird!