Views
Helpful
Replies

Telepresence with VCS and VCS Expressway

ampm_25
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am looking to expand a small video pilot we have going on in which I have a few endpoints such as some EX90's and a couple of MX300's.  We also have them implemented with an MCU 5320 with a couple of licenses and a VCS.

I am looking to order a VCS Expressway with the 5 traversal call licenses, but not sure how many non-traversal calls can happen on the device when ordering the LIC-VCSE-5.

More so, when a call happens from an external device and an internal device, where are the licenses consumed from?  Is there a license used on the VCS, and two licenses used on the VCS-E (internal endpoint and external endpoint)?  I am not sure how the consumption of licenses are used on either device as I am new to the Telepresence world, but my concern is that 5 traversal call licenses will be used up right away as soon as I have 3 external callers and 2 internal callers (or similar combination of internal/external callers).

Thanks in advance for any education you can provide me on this.

Thanks,

Arras

3 Replies 3

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just to give you a feeling what traversal and non-traversal (local) calls are used for:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/articles/vcs_traversal_call_license_usage_kb_168.shtml

To be honest I did not completely understood your call scenario :-)

A typical license usage for an external to internal call on a standard vcs-e&-c setup would be two:

* one traversal call license on the vcs-e (as this call goes to the traversal zone to the vcs-c)

* one traversal call license (where 100 are included in a standard vcs-c) on the vcs-c as it comes from the traversal zone

Other things to investigate could be a BE6000 for the inside (having CUCM and a VCS-C) and a vcs-e for the outside.

or just using VCS-E Starter Pack, but that all depends on what you need and how your deployments should look like.

QnA in forums are nice, but it will be a lot of loops of back and forward, ...

Did you talk to your Cisco partner or representative? Guess thats the easiest to go through the needs

and see how many calls are expected where so you get the right devices and licenses right from the start.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Arras,

I am looking to order a VCS Expressway with the 5 traversal call licenses, but not sure how many non-traversal calls can happen on the device when ordering the LIC-VCSE-5.

LIC-VCSE-5 will enable 5 traversall calls, it does not enable any non-traversall call. But in VCSe, in a simple scenario like yours, you don't need t have non-traversall call enable, only traversall call licenses.

More so, when a call happens from an external device and an internal device, where are the licenses consumed from?  Is there a license used on the VCS, and two licenses used on the VCS-E (internal endpoint and external endpoint)?  I am not sure how the consumption of licenses are used on either device as I am new to the Telepresence world, but my concern is that 5 traversal call licenses will be used up right away as soon as I have 3 external callers and 2 internal callers (or similar combination of internal/external callers).

Well, the comsuption works this way:

• When internal endpoints call each other through VCS Control, each call will take one non-traversall call license in VCS Control.
  • When an internal endpoint calls another on internet, this call takes a traversall call license in both VCSs, Control and Expressway. But normally, the default bundle of VCS Control comes with many traversall call licenses for free, because the limitation will be traversall call licenses in VCS Expressway, in your case, 5 calls. The same behavior is applied when you receive a call from internet
  • So 5 traversall call license in VCS Expressway will allow you have 5 simultaneously with internet (coming from or going to)
  • The number of internal calls you can make depends upon the number of non-traversall call licenses you have on VCS Control. I guess the default bundle comes with 10 non-traversall call licenses

So lets assume you buy 10 non-traversall licenses to VCS control and 5 traversall licenss to VCS Expressway, then you will have 10 internal call + 5 calls with internet. Total of 15 calls.

Again, VCS Control needs traversall call licenses to call VCS Expressway, but VCS Contol comes with many traversall licenses (I guess 100 traversall) for free, so the limitation is the traversall call license in VCS Expressway, not in Control. So you only have to purchase non-traversall call licenses to VCS control, these licenses will determine the number of internal calls you can make.

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hey Arras,

Could you provide some feedback on this topic?

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".