Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Database question

juriss
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently running two TMSs

Existing non-redundant TMS is running Ver 13.2.2 with approximatly 850 endpoints, 4 VCSs, 5 MCUs, Provisioning Ext, Jabber, etc

This continues to be our production TMS that is used daily

We have setup a new redundant TMS that is based on version 14.3.1 that has 2 VMware servers in two different cities

- TMS 14.3.1 is installed and running on both IIS servers and we are running a current version of MS SQL and the database replication is operational.

We are adding a 2nd MSE8000, some new VCSs and Conductor and adding all that new equipment is being registered to the new non-production TMS14 servers...  The plan is to run them in paralell untill the new redundant TMS 14.3 is fully tested and operational, then we would move all the end points over from the single TMS 13 to the new redundant TMS14.4

When we stood up the new 14.3 servers we migrated the old TMS 13.2 database and all that went well...

Since we are continuing to update the endpoints in the old TMS13.2 and not the 14.3...

My question is when we are ready to move the 850+ endpoints over to be manageed by the new TMS 14 we want to bring all the current endpoint related data but leave all the VCS/MCU info.....

Can I migrate only the enpoint related portions on the old TMS13.2 database to the new TMS14.3 without bringing the infrastructure part of the 13.2 database...   I would essentiall be combining the databases of the two TMSs  (Endpoint only data from the 13.2 woul be added to the existing 14.3 database)

I know this wouldf require digging in to the SQL database...  

Is it possible?

Have other folks done it?

Thanks for the feedback

1 Reply 1

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I don't think what you are asking for is possible. Many of the database fields as auto incremented when a new

endpoint record is inserted into the database, and you cannot easily manually override the values automatically assigned by SQL Server. Many of these values are also used as foreign keys in other database tables, so you will quickly get into an unmaintainable mess by trying to override what SQL Server has done for you.

My recommendation is to upgrade the production 13.2 database to 14.3 when you are ready to move your new redundant setup into production, and then point the two new TMS servers to the newly upgraded database. You can then purge infrastructure devices you don't want migrated over to the new setup.

Regards,

Kjetil