Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMSPE and Findme.

Anyone else having an issue with the fact that with TMSPE you now have to buy findme if you want properly working phonebooks?

I ran into this when creating a new instance of TMS with TMSPE. With out findme the phonebooks do not work properly. They are populated with the findme ID and thus making the phonebooks list non-routable URI's.

So now customers are not happy being told they have to purchase the very expensive Findme option to migrate to TMSPE.

To cause even more pain opends is gone in 14.1.1

Here is the BUG ID CSCuc20085....I can't read it, it contains proprietary info.

This should be an included option moving forward and grandfather existing clients in for a free upgrade.

Thanks

Jonathan

9 Replies 9

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"nice"

What happens if you add the device uri pattern as the findme address or no findme uri at all in TMSPE?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Something along the same lines as you..

TMSPE also brings up an issue with Jabber Video users if you're not using FindMe, where the provisioning phonebook will create both H323 and SIP routes, however Jabber Video is SIP only protocol.  So when you create scheduled conferences etc in TMS, it wants to default to H323 using up transversal licenses if not manually changed to SIP.

Someone else brought that up here:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3828383.

I will agree with you, as much as TMSPE is nice, I somewhat would prefere the TMS Agent method for the things they removed when moving to PE.

Martin,

that was the first thing I tried...you can add those patterns in the findme address....even if you define no findme uri it then does not populate the phone book

Patrick,

I think that TMSPE is better then opends it just needs to maintan current functionality and improve upon it. Its something even Tandberg struggled with.

I found that same issue too, without filling in that address - like you said no phonebook entires.

I'm glad for PE, great improvement, only if some of the functions etc from the old method could have been caried over. 

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, the simple workaround for this is to set video address pattern to the same as the device uri example {username}@domain.com. Then disable findme in the tmspe settings in tms. This will populate the pb and make it routable since its matching the device. There is a couple of bugs bit these are worked on. If you are provisioning more devices like ex and jabber the workaround is not that good and that is the purpose of findme to resolve one adress into several devices.

/Magnus

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Concur with what Magnus says, if you only have one device type "in the mix" (e.g. jabber movi only) and your not using FindMe, then this would be the workaround in this case. However, and when there are more than one device in the mix (e.g. ex and jabber movi), then this is where FindMe comes into play and what the product was developed and designed around...even in the Legacy TMS Agent days

And just one other tip, when it comes to the provisioning source and phone book, keep in mind that you can turn off the importing provisioned devices by going into the provisioining source and then select "Advanced Settings" and deselect the checkbox labeled "Import Provisioned Devices"...meaning if your using the above work around, then you keep your phone books in a fairly 'clean' state.

And with regards to Patrick's following comment:

TMSPE also brings up an issue with Jabber Video users if you're not  using FindMe, where the provisioning phonebook will create both H323 and  SIP routes, however Jabber Video is SIP only protocol.  So when you  create scheduled conferences etc in TMS, it wants to default to H323  using up transversal licenses if not manually changed to SIP.

This actually still comes into play even if your using FM as well. However, if your booking directly in TMS, i.e. Booking > New Conference, when you select "Add Participants", then you should be utilizing the "Users" tab when adding TMSPE users (in fact these are FM users) to the scheduled conference. When this is done, then TMS will select the correct protocol, i.e. SIP. But I can see what you mean when you select the "Phonebook" tab and then select the same users from Provisioning PB, i.e. TMS then utilizes the H323 protocol. However, and although the two entries in the PB may come into play here,  it may be more to do with that TMS 'routing logic' still simply prefers H323 over SIP. In any case, there is an enhancement defect open here:  CSCud54387

cheers,

Dale

Gentlemen,

thanks for taking the time to reply.....but I think we are all missing the point. Great we can make certain pieces work. If we have a fully developed network.(MOVI, Jabbertablet,Ex90's EX60's) and the dial plan to match. Now I upgrade to 14.1.1 or turn on TMSPE...I loose it all.

Work around's are great when you are dealing with a product that is half baked and you do not have the monetary resources to buy a complete system. We have sold Tandberg (now Cisco) to our clients and they love it. We do not like to go back and say sorry now you must spend $12,000 more for an option that the Cisco BU decided is now something you must have.

So we are encouraging our customers to reach out to there SE's and Sales contacts to make this an issue for them to deal with.

As I stated earlier the "work around" is for Cisco to give all of there existing loyal customers the findme key and make sure this is an included option moving forward.

Its like buying a car and not having the ability to make right or left turns because the steerwheel is locked after taking it in for sercvice until you buy an option key to activate it.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for taking the time to reply.....but I think we are all missing  the point. Great we can make certain pieces work. If we have a fully  developed network.(MOVI, Jabbertablet,Ex90's EX60's) and the dial plan  to match. Now I upgrade to 14.1.1 or turn on TMSPE...I loose it all.

No, I don't believe we're missing the point...or at least I'm not Meaning if you don't have FindMe in play and your only configuring the Device Address Pattern...meaning these are your routable address patterns...then this works just as before.

For example, and if you don't have FM, then you would go into Provisioning Extension Settings and simply disable FM. Next, you would then configure the Device Address Pattern only. Yes, the UI will complain with a warning on the Video Address Pattern but this is not necessary since FM has been disabled. You'll also see in the TMS UI the FindMe link under Systems > Provisioning but if you select it, it will simply send you to a page saying FM is disabled.

Once you've configured your Device Address Pattern (e.g. username.device@example.com) and your appropriate configuration templates, etc, your users will now need to begin to logon to their devices so that their Device URI Patterns begin to populate the VCS db which in turn sends this information back to the TMSPE db which will then begin to populate your PB. And in this case, you obviously want to be importing your provisioned devices. Therefore, don't disable that on the PB Source as earlier discussed.

And with the work around that Magnus and I are talking about is strictly if you have only one device in play...meaning it is in fact a routable address to something (duplicate of the Device URI Pattern) and simply populates your PBs right away. However, it still means your users have to log on to that device (e.g. let's say Movi) so as to still create the Device URI Pattern in the VCS.

And last but not least, and as you may or may not know, when you migrate from legacy TMS Agent to TMSPE, we (engineering) chose not to migrate the devices. The reason for this is because we had several customer dbs in house during the TMSPE development phase and what we saw in all cases there were lots of 'orphaned' devices. Therefore, and so has not to clutter up the TMSPE db with that erroneous or orphaned data, engineering made a conscious decision not to migrate the device data during the migration process. And obviously, and from a phone book POV, this didn't have an effect on those utilizing FM. However, it did for those not utilizing FM.

cheers,

Dale

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes without findme option key the video address pattern will only cause problems. Findme is not necessary but it eases up the deployment for one to many call routing in stead of dealing with multiple addresses per user. Thanks for clearing it up here dale +5

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App