Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Passthrough on Roombar

Neunghwi Kim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried to use the USB Passthrough feature with Roombar? 

I have connected the Roombar and my laptop using a USB 3.1 C-to-C cable and it works fine.(Camera, Speaker, Microphones are all recognized by the laptop)

However, also tried connecting the device and my laptop using USB 3.1 C-to-A cable and it doesn't work.(Camera, Microphones are recognized, but the Speaker doesn't appear.)

Does the Roombar only support USB C-to-C?  

5 Replies 5

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, it needs to be USB-C, and further to that, the USB-C port you use also needs to support USB-C Display Port Alternate Mode.  Not all laptop or PC devices support this.   

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply.

However, RoomKit Mini supports USB Passthrough by using USB C-to-A cable. We have already deployed some sites like this.

So I thought that Roombar would also support the same.

Do you know have any clear information about the difference between these two devices?

Hi, we are having a similar issue currently, I wondered if you found a resolution to this please?

Hi Andy,

As Wayne mentioned above, Roombar needs USB-C DP Alt mode.

I have got some more information from Cisco that Roombar uses 2 channels to send video and audio with USB-C(each channel is used by video and audio) but USB-A doesn't have a standard to support this. By using USB-A cables, you would need to connect HDMI cable to Roombar to use the internal speaker.

I have also heard that there would be a new version of Roombar released this year, which fully supports USB passthrough by USB-A type cables. However the hardware would be changed, not by just only updating the firmware.

Hope that this information could be helpful for you.

Hi, 

That is great feedback, thank you for the information it's really helpful and explains the issues we are seeing.

Thanks