cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS behavior after loss of power

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a way to control how a VCS behaves after power is interrupted?  As in does it automatically restart or does it stay shut down?

The reason I ask is because I have a client in a 'fringe' area where power can occasionally be a bit unreliable, and they had an outage last week.  They have 3 VCS controls in the region (different clients), and a VCS Expressway.   The Expressway does not start back up after a loss in power, but the 3 Controls appear to restart after power resumes, and I'm wondering why they'd be different?

I know the VCS is an appliance, and I'm wondering if it's just a different setting in the BIOS, as it can be with any PC, and can it be changed?

I certainly don't know of any settings in the CLI that have to do with power resume settings.

(Yes, ideally they'd all be on UPS systems.)

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

heathrw
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Were all the VCS devices purchased at the same time? if not this could explain why as it is possible there are minor hardware differences/settings under the lid if you have the traditional black 1RU single power supply VCS there is a monitor output and USB ports to access the BIOS. 

New VCS devices (CE500 & CE1000) are based upon the Cisco UCS C220 platform, had not had a chance to play with these exact ones but they would have a BIOS power up policy and also have an out of band management states future use but have not had a chance to use one of these yet to see if it is enabled.

Yes, all VCSes were bought at the same time, and all are non-UCS-based models.

I hoping there may be something under the hood that would allow access to these settings without accessing the BIOS directly (similar to the way UEFI-based boards are now).  Direct access to these boxes by someone with physical access and a vested interest in making these changes is problematic (politics).