cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS IP and routing

Hello,

my next stupid questions is :

image.png

1.Can i put the ip of the VCS to be 10.20.100.140 ?

2.When i try to use the web interface of the VCS and E20 it can't find them. Why?

I can go to the web interface of the ASA and the router, but can't log in because i don't have the username and password.

The default gateway of the router 192.168.100.1

It will be great if you can help me with this one. Thanks !

26 Replies 26

Thanks for the answers friends , but is there another way to do the configuration... There were 2 cisco boys who made this configuration :

in two different towns and the RED video phone diled the other and the BLUE diled the RED, but the ips of the VCS,Video phone and the MCU were 10.20.100.x after that one dude messed up everything and now i must correct the things... So can you please tell me:

1.What is the role of the ASA - does the ASA only serve for security?

2.Is there another way to do the configuration without VCS Expressway?

Thanks!

Hi Svetoslav,

The only solution, I see, is to configure VPN tunnel (IPsec, GRE) between ASA firewalls and configure routing between subnets 192.168.100.x, 10.1.1.x and E20 subnet. After that E20 will be able to register on VCS control.

Best regards,

Sergey Kuzmin

I think that is the case... Today i've got the username and password of the ASA and i see there a VPN tunnel to the other town where the other Phones are... this is not very good because now if i want to connect a phone in another town i must connect with another tunnel . Is this so or am i wrong? And is there another way to connect to this tunnel if for example the other town don't have any ASA ? Thanks a lot !

Hi Svetoslav,

if you are serving another town then you need another ASA for VPN tunneling and as your network grows you would need more and more ASA firewalls. I think it would be more economical to go with non-scalable solution of VCS starter pack or a more scalable solution of VCSC + VCSE with the option of being able to deploy more endpoints in future (servering more endpoints in different towns).

Best regards, Ahmad

Hi Svetoslav,

don't you have this small offices in each town reachable over a MPLS network to your hheadquartes where your VCS is kept?

Rgds

Alok

Hi Svetoslav,

At the moment you have at least to solutions:

1. Buy and use VCS Expressway. You will be able to register endpoints from branch offices (other towns) on you VCSE or VCSC (using SIP proxy registration) and place calls outside your network.

2. Do not use VCS Expressway. You can implement DMVPN, so you can use Cisco routers as well to connect branch offices to head quarter. But, without VCSE, you may have issues with placing outbound calls.

I'd recommend to collect pros and cons for each solution, try to calculate approximate cost, taking into account further growth and scalability.

After that you will be able to make decision about solution.

Best regards,

Sergey Kuzmin

Hello Svetoslav,

1- ASA is a firewall and its role is to keep the bad guys out of your internal LAN. Looking at your diagram, ASA is a Firewall as well as NAT server.

2- if you dialing into Internet you need VCS-expressway. If you have NAT'ed addresses then you need Dual Interface option key. If you get Starter Pack option key, you get both of the option at the same time (it converts your VCSC to a VCSsp =VCSE with Dual Interface)

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Ahmad

Hi Svetoslav,

check the below link for more details why the expressway is required and its usage in NAT'ed enviornment...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pdf

check appendix page 4.

Rgds

Alok

Hello everyone and thanks for the help! I'm just wondering if there is no secon ASA in the other town is there a way to create a VPN tunnel between the ASA in my town and the other. Can a router Linksys WRT54GL help me somehow ? My colleges told me that it can connect to a VPN tunnel but i think this router can only pass the VPN tunnel...  Thanks

Hi Svetoslav,

There are many examples on the web including supportforums on how to setup a VPN tunnel between ASA 5505 and Linksys WRT54GL such as:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2011337

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_%28the_easy_way%29_v24%2B

Have a look at these links and setup your VPN tunnel.

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Ahmad

Hello i have installed dd-wrt software on the linksys router. Now in the VPN menu of the router i have

PPTP Client

OPENVPN client

i have created a tunnel in the ASA5505... but now how can i connect the router WRT54gl to that vpn tunnel i have created in the ASA?

Thanks!

Hi Svetoslav,

you are posting this question in wrong comuunity.

please use "security as technology and post your question related to VPN configuration.

Rgds,

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: