cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

video over VPN link

netman2k5
Level 1
Level 1

how can I play video over VPN link ? I have video streaming server at one end and client at the other. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

netman2k5
Level 1
Level 1

can anyone shed some lights for me please ? currently I'm able to do video streaming in LAN only. Thanks a lot.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

What happens / What does it look like when you try ?

What kind of video (mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, Microsoft ...)?

What kind of bandwidth does the video need?

What is the bandwidth is available on the link?

What kind of client?

What kind of server?

This should be enough to start with, then we can dial it in a little better.

FWIW

Scott

please see attachment for our video server config. This is all we have to do in LAN to run video streaming (of course we have to start the client to receive video).

Both sides have DSL connections. Thanks, Scott.

Your posting suggests that there was an attachment, but there is no attachment.

One question to clarify is whether the video you want to transmit is using multicast?

And if it is using multicast then a question is what kind of VPN are you running? If it is a straight standard IPSec VPN then you have a problem. IPSec is for unicast traffic. To get multicast you need to use IPSEC VPN in conjunction with GRE tunnels. This will transport multicast. Or there is a new feature announced for IPSec Virtual Tunnel Interface which is supposed to support multicast. I have not used this feature yet so I can not speak to whether it would solve your problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I think you're right. I'm doing IPSec VPN then I will need GRE tunneling. Will try it. Thank you very much.

netman2k5