Helpful
Replies

Virtual VCS X8 / Root access

julien.plante
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.

Since the latest upgrade from x7.2 to x8.1, virtual VCS's in a cluster can't be accessed with root login.

The weird thing is that an Expressway (Applicance), within the same infrastructure can be accessed via root.

It doesn't even work anymore on the vmware console.

Any hint or have you seen this issue yet?

Cheers and thanks for your replies,

Cheers,

Jul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can not really interpret your last message.

You said "serial connections" where do you use on a virtual vcs-c serial connections?

Did you execute pwrec command successfully and reset the password?

Please consult the admin guide for more input!

The VCS needs to be just rebooted to re-set the password via pwrec, please follow the admin guide.

pwrec would have to be done via the virtual console in ESXi.

(guess a virtual serial port might also work, but I never tried that and also why make it more complicated).

Try something simple, like 8 digits containing characters from A-X and 0-9 to rule out keyboard issues.

Btw, if you have the enhanced security key the root access is disabled.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Julien,

i have 3 VCS on VM in my lab and i can access all of them fine after upgrade to x8.

Regards

Alok

Well, even from the VMWare console, directly on the UCS, I cannot login as root. Even tested to run a wizard again, but won't launch a factory reset... and I can't, as i'm not root... :/

Can you try the password reset procedure on page 274 of this document -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/admin_guide/Cisco-VCS-Administrator-Guide-X8-1.pdf - I believe it should work through the VMware console.

Thanks,

Guy

Guy,

I just tried it and pwrec doesn't have any access, even though ssh and serial connections are up within the Administration page attributes.

Thanks for the answer anyway

I can not really interpret your last message.

You said "serial connections" where do you use on a virtual vcs-c serial connections?

Did you execute pwrec command successfully and reset the password?

Please consult the admin guide for more input!

The VCS needs to be just rebooted to re-set the password via pwrec, please follow the admin guide.

pwrec would have to be done via the virtual console in ESXi.

(guess a virtual serial port might also work, but I never tried that and also why make it more complicated).

Try something simple, like 8 digits containing characters from A-X and 0-9 to rule out keyboard issues.

Btw, if you have the enhanced security key the root access is disabled.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

julien.plante
Level 1
Level 1

In fact, I had to reboot both UCS to be able to use the pwrec command.

Thx for your help Martin