cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTC QOS SETTING

kirkchris01
Level 1
Level 1

We are having a problem with the Tandberg MXP6000's dropping calls every couple of minutes. The problem only exists between the two campuses that are connected via a DS3 link. Campus 2 has to travel the DS3 circuit up through Campus 1 to get out to the internet. Both campuses use a remote gateway and are using IP/H323. When either campus calls to other bases across the country, the calls are fine. I believe it is a QoS issue. How do I set QoS for this situation and in what devices to ensure the calls get the dedicated bandwidth they need?

4 Replies 4

Hi,

You can configure QoS on Tandberg 6000MXP codec.

Usually  our customers prefer using  Diffserv configuration for QoS for their codecs and works fine. You could try and test it with your current setup.

Navigate your codec's menu using the remote control:

Control Panel > Network > LAN Settings > Quality of Service then select DIFFSERV.

Then go to Diffserv Video and Diffserv Telephony sub-menu settings and configure the following:

For DIFFSERV VIDEO:

Audio: 34

Video: 34

Data: 22

Signaling: 26

For DIFFSERV TELEPHONE:

Audio: 46

These are the recommended values.

regards,

Acevirgil

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

QoS really only kicks in when the bandwidth on the link between the two campuses is 100% congested.  And, then, if it's congested, the QoS will then be used to prioritise the traffic, it still doesn't necessarily ensure that you will have bandwidth available.

As for the settings you need to use for the QoS settings on the endpoint, use Ace's response as a guideline, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the correct values for your network.  You will need to consult with your network manager to confirm what settings and policies have been defined on your network and then replicate the appropriate values on your endpoint.

A call dropping every couple of minutes is more likely to be a keep-alive timer or similar on a firewall.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Yeah, I'm wondering. Both systems have to go out to the internet to get to the Gatekeeper in Fort Huachuca. Our firewall is managed by Huachuca also...and tends to be a problem more often than not. I will try Ace's fix with both Gatekeeper and Direct. I can't try anything currently because the system stopped responding to the remote. I put in the cli command to reactivate the remote but it keeps falling off. We had this happen with this system before and I defaulted the VTC.

You should be able to configure the QoS settings via the Web Interface on the endpoint, or via the CLI as well, so you don't necessarily have to do it with the remote.

The settings show on the System Configuration > H.323 page on the Web Interface

http://ipaddress/h323set.ssi.

or with the following CLI commands:

xConfiguration QoS Diffserv Telephony Audio: 46
xConfiguration QoS Diffserv Telephony Signalling: 24
xConfiguration QoS Diffserv VideoTelephony Audio: 34
xConfiguration QoS Diffserv VideoTelephony Signalling: 24
xConfiguration QoS Diffserv VideoTelephony Video: 34
xConfiguration QoS Diffserv VideoTelephony Data: 22

And don't forget to enable it with:

xConfiguration QoS Mode: Diffserv

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate,

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.