Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on LAN / Link when shoot down in videoconference endpoints

dvianna01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to measure the availability of videoconference endpoints on my network, but with the particularity that when codec or electric switch is turned off manualy by user, the endpoint still be treated as availabe.

For this, I was thinking on two options:

• 1. Monitor "link" on the network interface of the endpoints, but I realice that if you turn off the endpoint, "link" will stop responding. 

My question here is, is there any way to enable something that allows network interface to respond with link even if the codec is turned off?

• 2. Does videoconference endpoints support WoL (wake on lan)? if so, how can be set?

Thank in advance for any help.

Regards

6 Replies 6

dvianna01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone knows something about this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hi,

I am not sure what videoconferencing end points you might have, but this community is for Cisco WebEx Meetings Server and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace products. If you need assistance with Telepresence videoconferencing end points, please move this post to Telepresence community to get visibility with the appropriate group of experts.

I hope this will help.

-Dejan 

Thanks for the comment Dejan.

Regards

dvianna01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone knows something about this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It would be handy if you would specify which video conference systems you are talking about and which infrastructure you use, call control wise, network wise and regards the monitoring.

If I understand your demand correct, if the user shut the system down you want to count this time as up.

For my understanding this is the challenge here. How would you even want to separate
a user initiated shutdown from a shutdown caused by an issue.

Sure you could do that via an external web script or control system, but still that might not
catch all possibilities properly.

In general I would recommend to keep TelePresence systems on all the time (and Cisco 

should improve the power saving capabilities of the endpoints :-) to guarantee reachability

at any time.

You have multiple points which you could monitor, link on the switch, cdp info on the switch,

arp table on the router, icmp/ip reachability, service response (like sip option packet, http request, ...), uptime info on the endpoint, registration info on the call control, ....

But especially the endpoint is turned of, but defined as ok sounds to me like a source for

false positive or negatives.

2) I am not aware that there are Cisco TelePresence endpoints supporting WOL.

Feel free to talk to you Cisco Partner or Contact to initiate a feature request.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thank you Martin for your reply. It is very appreciated.

Regarding the infraestructure, we are using VCS-C and VCS-E, with 2 MCUs and one TS behind Conductor.

Endpoints are Cisco C20, SX20, EX60 and EX90.

The issue here is that, endpoints are operated by non-IT people, and we are talking about 1300 endpoints across the whole country.

In any case, we will take a look to your suggestions.

Regards