Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

X7.2 upgrade failed

Hi all.

I have several upgrades behind me, from X4-something and up to X7.1, with little or no problems before my last attempt to upgrade to X7.2. I followed the X7.2 upgrade procedure as advised, which has no changes from the X7.1 procedure, but somehow the CVSs did not upload the image. After browsing to choose the new version I pressed the upgrade button. Usually you can see the upload progressing but this time nothing. I quite after 30 minutes. Tried uploading the new version from both my client pc and from a shared harddrive. Also checked the MD5 checksum to be OK. I used Firefox to access the VCSes.

Has anyone any idea why this might have failed?

Thanks!

André

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

André,

it is difficult to say why the file upgrade failed in your case, there are however a couple of things you could try to faultfind this further:

Before attempting an upgrade, make sure to be logged in to the VCS over SSH as the 'admin' user. During an upgrade, you will see useful progress output in the SSH session showing the current progress of the upgrade.

You could also try using Google Chrome for uploading the file, as Chrome will give you a file upload progress percentage indicator near the bottom of the screen when uploading/posting files to a web server.

Apart from that, further troubleshooting would most likely require you to take a full snapshot of the VCS and opening a TAC case.

- Andreas

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

André,

it is difficult to say why the file upgrade failed in your case, there are however a couple of things you could try to faultfind this further:

Before attempting an upgrade, make sure to be logged in to the VCS over SSH as the 'admin' user. During an upgrade, you will see useful progress output in the SSH session showing the current progress of the upgrade.

You could also try using Google Chrome for uploading the file, as Chrome will give you a file upload progress percentage indicator near the bottom of the screen when uploading/posting files to a web server.

Apart from that, further troubleshooting would most likely require you to take a full snapshot of the VCS and opening a TAC case.

- Andreas

Thanks Andreas! What you say about being logged in to the VCS over SSH as the 'admin' user; I've seen this done one time before, but is it sufficient to be logged in as admin to see this prosgress? Meaning; no need to write any commands, like in Cisco IOS "show terminal monitor"?

I will try upgrading again tomorrow, and also use Google Chrome.

Yes, being logged in as 'admin' is sufficient, you do not have to actively trigger this log output.

- Andreas

Hi André,

I have seen this case with couple time before. Sometimes when the VCS is kept in datacenter and you are trying to upgrade it from a remote site it takes a long time.And it doesn't also shows any progress bar on the VCS GUI. I don't know why but its very intermittent.

like sometimes in my lab if i upgrade i directly see the upgrade window i don't see the progress bar for sw uploading.

In such cases i was able to help couple of customers using upgrade procedure thorugh the Winscp.

if the upgrade doesn't works through GUI try with winscp.

rgds,

Alok

Andreas

I tried your suggestion using Chrome and succeeded at last - thank you! I saw the progression in percent, but it took forever on both the VCS Control and the Expressway. Earlier I was able to complete the upgrade in less than one hour on both (one at a time), but now it took 1 hr 40 min... The image size has been abour 300 MB the last couple of times, so I guess size did not have anything to do with it.

Being logged in as admin showed only very little when it comes to progress, I think I've seen more before, but I may be mistaken.

Thank you for very swift and acurate assistance!

Best Regards,

André

André,

the only limiting factor for the file upload process itself should be the available bandwidth between your PC and the VCS. I'm assuming you were not on the same local network as the VCS in this case, but rather uploading the file across a WAN/Internet?

If you were indeed on the same local network as the VCS I would suspect that something is wrong somewhere as the VCS should be capable of receiving an uploaded file close to wire-speed, even in a gigabit network.

- Andreas

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you configure any value other than “0” on “Session time out (minutes)” under System configuration?

Default configuration is “0” which disable the session time out but in case you have shorter session time out, you might want to disable it during software upgrade.

As Alok mention, we have seen several cases that take long time for software image to upload to VCS from PC in scenario VCS upgrading remotely.

To verify the file transfer speed, you may use SCP application (i.e. WinSCP) and upload the X7.x software image under /tmp folder.

You don’t need to complete the file upload, but WinSCP should shows expect duration to complete the file transfer.