Views
Helpful
Replies

Controlling multiple cameras with C60 Codec

srives
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have a customer who wants to use 3 PrecisionHD cameras along with Content Input to a C60 codec, along with an AMX control system.

I understand that there can only be 3 video inputs connected to a C60 at a time, my question is:

If I have an HDMI switcher which switches video from the 3 cameras connected to the C60's Video Input #1 and have that configured as a CAMERA input, how do I control the cameras independently?

I usually would connect RS-232 from my AMX system to the C60 and send a command that says in effect  "hey C60, tell camera 1 to zoom in" or "hey C60, tell camera 2 to zoom out", etc...

But in this case, the C60 will only 'think' it has one camera connected, so:

Can I still send commands through the codec that say things like "hey C60, tell camera 2 to zoom out",

OR

Can I 'daisy chain' the control cable between them and just connect RS-232 to the 1st camera in the chain and them say "camera 3, zoom in"?

OR

Do I need a separate RS-232 connection to each camera and just say "camera zoom out"

I hope I have explained my question well enough, I look forward to your responses!!

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lawrence James
Level 1
Level 1

If you want to integrate a little more flexibility and discrete control you can add a small matrix switch in the project (see Extron DXP 44 HDMI) and then have each camera connected directly to the AMX for control. This allows discrete control, discrete video selection, preview output and the ability to also have a PC or other video source connected (3 cameras plus a PC).

Discrete control is possible with daisy chaining with addressing but depending on camera placement and distances between the camera the daisy chain cable runs can a problem and since you have to run the video back to the rack it is simpler to run the control back to on location as well.

If you want to use the composting then the TC console will need to be used.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have a look at Chapter 4 in the PrecisionHD Camera user Guide it shows you how to daisy chain the control cable.  The guide also has the VISCA/RS-232 control protocol detailed in Chapter 6.

You can also use the video compositor functionality of the C60/C90/SX80 codec to control which camera is displayed / do advanced layouts of multiple cameras / etc.  Check out the TC Console application which can be used to define some of these types of layouts.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Lawrence James
Level 1
Level 1

If you want to integrate a little more flexibility and discrete control you can add a small matrix switch in the project (see Extron DXP 44 HDMI) and then have each camera connected directly to the AMX for control. This allows discrete control, discrete video selection, preview output and the ability to also have a PC or other video source connected (3 cameras plus a PC).

Discrete control is possible with daisy chaining with addressing but depending on camera placement and distances between the camera the daisy chain cable runs can a problem and since you have to run the video back to the rack it is simpler to run the control back to on location as well.

If you want to use the composting then the TC console will need to be used.