Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Conductor with TMS 14.1

Simon Battye
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Now that TMS 14.1 has been released and the "Cisco TelePresence Conductor with Cisco TMS Deployment Guide" does not appear to be available as of yet; i'd be interested to hear what production/lab experiences people have had so far?

Does anyone know when the deployment guide will be released? Will i be able to cascade geographical conferences using TMS/Conductor?

Regards,

22 Replies 22

You are unfortunately on your own if you use the 'Scheduled Conference' setting with TMS 14.1.

TMS will get improved Conductor support in the future, that's for sure. I'm afraid that I cannot be more specific than that in a public forum.

Justin: as its just about the booking, did you try with TMS14.1, XC2 and TPS3 if you just

add the macthed TPS alas to the TMS. Sure you can not use the conference control panel

but I could picture you can book the conference and it gets routed to the TPS.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Does anyone know when the deployment guide will be released?

As Dale says, the info is already there in the TMS 14.1 admin guide.

We’ll rearrange the information and republish it as a new document Cisco TelePresence Conductor XC1.2 with Cisco TMS 14.1 Deployment Guide (or something like that) in the not too distant future, hopefully next month.

Will i be able to cascade geographical conferences using TMS/Conductor?

TMS has no control over which bridges the Conductor chooses to connect participants to, so if I understand you correctly: No.

i'd be interested to hear what production/lab experiences people have had so far?

I might be slightly biased here, but I really love Conductor scheduling. It can be a bit of a hassle to set up correctly (as it is a complex piece of infrastructure equipment that also requires changes to your dial plan and MCUs), but as soon as you are up and running, it makes life so much easier.

The major advantage IMHO is that the Conductor takes distribution (MCU cascading) away from TMS’s control. TMS has to keep a lot of legacy products in mind when deciding how to route call legs between different bridges, and the Conductor – which has no such constraints – can optimize for a modern TelePresence deployment. End users both get a simpler solution (i.e. one number to dial), and a superior TelePresence experience (i.e. a more seamless immersive experience when connected to a huge conference that spans multiple bridges).

The Conductor also simplifies maintenance, as it looks like one gigantic bridge from TMS’s perspective. If you are retiring or temporarily removing an MCU from your deployment, you don’t have to go into future conferences in TMS, re-route the calls, save them again, and then notify end users that the bridge number changed. With the Conductor, it all happens completely transparently to TMS, which does not need to know or care about which physical bridge that hosts the conference.

Another thing I like: Users often schedule way more MCU capacity than they actually need, “just in case”. With the Conductor, we allow deliberate overbooking of MCU ports, so that organizations better may utilize their MCU ports. This wouldn’t be appropriate in some organizations, where guaranteed ports are required, but it can be a very efficient way of maximizing MCU usage.

Regards,

Kjetil

I also have a question on this topic. In the deployment guide they only talk about MCU's.

Does this mean the Telepresence Servers are not supported?

We are using the Cisco TelePresence Server on Media 320 which does not even seem to support snmp and am unable to add it to TMS.

Does anyone have experience with the (MultiParty) Media 320?

cheers

Edwin

Hi,

Does this mean the Telepresence Servers are not supported?

TelePresence Servers managed by a Conductor are supported in TMS >= 14.3.0, if you use Conductor XC >= 2.2.

[I] am unable to add it to TMS. Does anyone have experience with the (MultiParty) Media 320?

You should be able to add it to TMS if you check "Discover Non-SNMP Systems" in the Add Systems tab.

Regards,

Kjetil

Thanks Kjetil for the quick response.

I am able to add the MPM 320 to TMS the way you described. Thanks!

But do all the steps in the "Cisco TelePresence Conductor with Cisco TMS Deployment Guide" ment for the MCU also apply to the Telepresence server?

Also TMS is not able to discover all setting on the Conductor and Telepresence server.

For example it does not detect the aliases I created on the Conductor.

Is this a knows issue?

kind regards

Edwin

Most of the documented steps for MCUs also apply to TelePresence Servers. Is there any particular step you are unsure about?

TMS won't pick up aliases you create on the Conductor, you will have to create alias patterns youself in TMS. Once you create them in TMS, you can copy the regex generated by TMS into your Conductor.

-Kjetil

Hi Kjetil,

No particular steps, just in general, because it's quite a new model. But I followed the guide and it works now. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Edwin