cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can UCS Director be used in a Redhat/Ubuntu Linux environment using KVM and ceph storage? If it cannot be used in this environment for servers/vms I assume it can still be used for switches?

gmosley96
Level 1
Level 1

Can UCS Director be used in a Redhat/Ubuntu Linux environment using KVM and ceph storage? If it cannot be used in this environment for servers/vms I assume it can still be used for switches?

I am looking for a product to do switch provisioning and then allow for configuration changes and such.

3 Replies 3

michzimm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In terms of the infrastructure actually hosting the UCS Director VM appliance, we only today support VMware or Hyper-V, so the UCSD VM will need to run in a VMware or Hyper-V environment. Once the UCSD VM is up and running, we do have a connector for RedHat KVM, which requires RHEV-M as this is the interface we communicate with, we do not solely support KVM through lib-vert only. In regards to Ceph storage, we do not currently support, however depending on the level of integration needed, we do have out of box generic SSH task which in some cases can help to fill gaps by sending SSH commands to a device. You are correct, depending on the switches and if they exist on the compatibility matrix for UCSD, they can still be managed by UCSD.

I appreciate the fast response!

Our switches are Nexus 7010, 5548, 5648, 5672, 5596 and then 3172, 92160 for the new stuff, then a bunch of old 4506 and 6509 we are migrating off of. I think when I checked most of what we have is supported.

Basically we have an existing environment (Redhat, KVM, CEPH) and network (mostly Nexus) that we are going to try to add automation to.

For "zero touch" or "day 0" provisioning it seems that APIC-EM, UCS Director and DCNM will all do it.

Would you care to make any comment on which you think we should focus on - what might be the best fit for our environment?

I think it really depends on what devices you want to automate and is there potential to automate in other areas in the future as well. For example, APIC-EM and DCNM are solely focused primarily on network/fabric automation, which might be where you want to start in your case, and those both will do a really good job in that area, however if you think you want to move towards server and storage automation as well in the future, and have all automated from a single platform, that's really where UCSD would come into play typically. Hope that helps...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer