cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk Enabling email notification using text pager 1

ankit.patel
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way of enabling email notification On unity from the bulk edit tools or via the greetings administrator when dialling into voicemail. Currently the greetings administrator only allows enabling notifcation for pager, home phone, work phone and spare phone. I've tried using bulk edit but that does not provide the enable option and using a bulk import only has the disable option.

I'm currently using Unity ver 4.0(3)

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bulk Edit doesn't have an enable option because presumably you'd want to configure seperate dialout numbers for each device on a per subscriber basis - the Bulk Edit application is tailored for items that are done in bulk based on rules that can be applied to large groups of users/handlers - enabling notification devices is not one of those things.

You're not using the greetings administrator here, by the way - that's just the regular subscriber conversation you're getting at for the notification devices.

No, the only way to get at the other notification devices other than the 4 "root" devices is via the web administration console (SA for admins, PCA for users). There's no other mechanism to enable/configure notification devices in bulk.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if you can manipulate the database in SQL directly ?

of course - but doing notification devices is tricky business - it requires you mess with both rules and devices (seperate tables) and know what you're doing. This isn't one of the programatic admin things I documented because it's not trivial.

Can you tell me exactly what it is you want to do? I'm not real sure what you're gunning for here - just blindly enabling 100 notification devices for uses is not practical, I'm assuming you have a CSV file or something that contains delivery numbers you want to punch in?

I've been given a task to enable email notification to 288 mail boxes. I have a CSV file ready to add email addresses into the "to" field and a phone number in the "from" field.

what about a schedule? Schedules for notification devices are stored on a per rule basis (i.e. you don't point to a system schedule). The storage format for schedules is a moderately nasty bit flag field. If you want to apply the same schedule to everyone (i.e. 8am to 5pm or 24 hours or whatever) then that's easy enough - just figure out the hex string for the schedule you want and slam it in.

You can certainly do this - I can hook you up with some simple VB code that has the SQL queris to get the device/notification pair and update them accordingly - there's no directory synch issues here since this stuff is only stored locally so it's just a matter of using SQL stored procs to update the data and move on.

The version of Unity you're on will make a difference here a bit - the SPs to do this correctly weren't there in earlier versions of Unity.

Hi. Thanks for the information. We are applying the same schedule to everyone i.e. 24 hours so it shouldn't be a problem. That would be great if you can hook me up with the with VB code. My request just also got bigger. I have to enable this on about 800 Voicemail boxes now aswell as the 288 I had originally...so anything to make my life easier would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of O/S, I'm running Unity on win 2000 5.00.2195 SP 3. We are looking to upgrade the SP's in the next couple of weeks though. The version of Unity is 4.0(3).

Could you expand on what you mean about the SPs to do this correctly weren't there on earlier versions of Unty.