Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 7.0 integrate MS Exchange 2010

shaikh ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

We are going to Integrate  Cisco unity server 7 with MS exchange 2010 , both are in different sites and connected through WAN .

my question is that is it possible to do integration through wan ?

Appreciate if some one help me

shib

5 Replies 5

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Shaikh,

After searching for this information, found in one of the TAC cases (615573505) that this deployment is not supported.

Users who have mailbox on the Exchange Server which is on the remote site
connected over the WAN have issues in accessing their voice mails as they are stuck in the
UnityMTA folder.

Software/Hardware Version: Unity 7.0(2)

ACTION PLAN:- 

In order to get the above setup working, we need to install a separate Unity
server on the remote side along with the Exchange server.

Hope it helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts !!

This is actually addressed in the Cisco Unity design guide as connectivity between Unity and Exchange is critical for reliable performance.

Physical Placement and Network Infrastructure

Revised May 6, 2008

To ensure that Cisco Unity functions properly, we require that a  Cisco Unity server be in the same data center as the following servers:

The  Exchange server that Cisco Unity communicates with, commonly known as  the partner Exchange server. For more information on the partner  Exchange server, see the "Exchange Considerations (All Versions)" section.

Every  Exchange server on which mailboxes for that Cisco Unity server are  homed. If Cisco Unity is separated by a WAN from an Exchange server on  which subscriber mailboxes are homed, a second Cisco Unity server must  be co-located with the remote Exchange server.

At  least one domain controller. If Cisco Unity subscribers are homed in  more than one domain, a DC for each domain must be in the same data  center as the Cisco Unity server.

At least one global catalog server.

At least one DNS server.

These requirements apply regardless of whether the non-Cisco Unity  servers are customer provided, or are Cisco provided and dedicated to  Cisco Unity.

Connect the Cisco Unity server and the servers that Cisco Unity relies  on with a high-speed switched gigabit network with no congestion. Total  MAPI response time must be less that 10 milliseconds.

The Cisco Unity server should be installed into the same Windows site as the Exchange servers it services.

For full details, take a look at the full design guide here (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/design/guide/5xcudg040.html).

Note that the documentation for version 5.x still applies for version 7.x (i.e., new documentation was not developed for 7.x and Cisco simply refers users on that version to the 5.x documents).  This is also for connectivity to Exchange in general - the specific version is not a factor as the integration mechanisms are the same (MAPI, etc).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanx guys ... but i have one confusing ,as per the customer  currently they have MS exchange 2007 which is working fine  with cisco unity server .through WAN.

Any idea?...

In some cases, the design requirements are outlining what is recommended and supported...not necessarily what will (or will not) "work".

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

If this is the case , we can integrate Cisco Unity with MS exchange 2010 in the similar way (through wan) ?...i mean without additional server is it possible ? ...will it works ?

Appreciate your reply...