cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection 8.6 Distribution list help.

Indu Gudipati
Level 1
Level 1

We have a shared department line on several phones ( say 30  ) with VM and users were accessing the VM  through the telephhone interface.

Recently we had a request from the leadership team ( say 5  ) , that they need unified messaging ( VM in their emails)  for that department line.

How do i make it possible so that the leadership team has the unified messaging( VM in their emails ), while the other user still have access to the dept line VM through telephone interface.

If  I create  distribution list with the the leadership team  as DL members and call handler for the dept line DN with message  setting set to receipients as the distribution list , would that do it ? Will the other users still  be able to access the VM through their phone. how do I make it  possible .?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Do the users have an available button on there phones? If they do, you can assign the VM extension to there phones and label it as "Shared VM" and the users would access VM as they normaly would.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

View solution in original post

Indu,

I understand you requirement and I'll be upfront and say there are only so many options here as I see it and each has its own caveats/limitations.  Here are a couple:

1.  You will need an SMTP Smart Host configured for Unity Connection for this solution to work.  The Smart Host is just an SMTP relay server and it needs to be configured to accept messages from and deliver messages to the SMTP domain of Unity Connection.  That also means that you need to configure Unity Connection to allow inbound SMTP from this host (i.e., a trusted address configuration).

2.  You will need an email distribution list or shared email address that you can forward a copy of voice messages for the mailbox to.  That email distribution list needs to have your special users set as members.

3.  Once the first 2 items are in place, go to the shared mailbox and set the Message Actions for Voicemail to "Accept and Relay" and then specify the relay address as the address for the distribution list you set up in item 2.

4.  Leave the configuration for the shared mailbox the same except for the accept and relay configuration above.  All users will continue to have the same phone-based functionality.  The difference is that a COPY of every voicemail will be sent to the special users via the relay to distribution list.  The caveat is that this is not Unified Messaging.  It does get the voicemail into email but there is no synchronization of MWI and/or message status for users that rely on email client to check messages.

Another option would be an Integrated Messaging solution.  This also is not Unified Messaging but does provide synchronziation between the shared line and email client; however, it requires that each of your special users set up an IMAP connection from their email client to the Unity Connection server.  So, the messages will not be seen in their personal email inbox but rather in a separate IMAP folder in the email client.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Kindly find the below link , which will helps you to configure distributed list

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag220.html

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Indu,

I'm not understanding why you want to use DLs. If you want users to have VMs in their email you can install the viewmail for outlook on the users who need VMs in there email. Please read th elink below for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/vmo/release/notes/865cucvmorn.html

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Yashiel,

They already have Viewmail to access their VM on their Personal line through outlook.

What they want is a shared department line's VM in their email , while there are other people accessing the same VM through their phones. So it doesn't let me create a distribution list or a call handler with the same extension.

Thanks,

Indu.

Indu,

You would have to delete that shared voicemail box and create the DL with the shared extension and then assign the members you want to receive the voice messages. If you wanted to you could create a voicemail box with a non DID extension assign it to the DL and give that extensino to the users you want to be able to listen to the voice message via phone. The users would simply call the unity pilot and enter the new extension and pin to access the voice messages.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Yosh ,

Thanks for your quick responses.

But that wouldn't be a suitable solution in my case here , because the users listening to VM via phone need frequent and easy access to the VM more than the leadership team .

They are very much used to pressing the shared line button on the phone and press messages button to listen to the department line 's VM.

Thanks,

Indu

Do the users have an available button on there phones? If they do, you can assign the VM extension to there phones and label it as "Shared VM" and the users would access VM as they normaly would.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

I am sorry, May be I wasn't very clear in my disccusions above, a newbie to Cisco voice ..

The users who listen to the shared line's VM  through phone already have a line button for the shared line on their phones and have been accessing the VM's using the same.

Since there is already a VM user account for this shared line in unity connection, it doesn't let me create a new distribution list for the leadership team with the that extension, gives me an error

"  A User with the specified extension already exists in the Partition."

Also if i delete the the the above existing user account ( shared line VM account) from unity connection , and assign it to the new DL, The member of the DL will be the ONLY people that will be able to access the VM . Correct ?

But what we need is,

the members of the new DL( leadership team ) ...listening to that shared line VM's  through their emails ..

and the other existing users who have that shared dept line on the phones still be able to access their VM through that  line on their phone.

Thanks,

Indu

Indu,

I understand you requirement and I'll be upfront and say there are only so many options here as I see it and each has its own caveats/limitations.  Here are a couple:

1.  You will need an SMTP Smart Host configured for Unity Connection for this solution to work.  The Smart Host is just an SMTP relay server and it needs to be configured to accept messages from and deliver messages to the SMTP domain of Unity Connection.  That also means that you need to configure Unity Connection to allow inbound SMTP from this host (i.e., a trusted address configuration).

2.  You will need an email distribution list or shared email address that you can forward a copy of voice messages for the mailbox to.  That email distribution list needs to have your special users set as members.

3.  Once the first 2 items are in place, go to the shared mailbox and set the Message Actions for Voicemail to "Accept and Relay" and then specify the relay address as the address for the distribution list you set up in item 2.

4.  Leave the configuration for the shared mailbox the same except for the accept and relay configuration above.  All users will continue to have the same phone-based functionality.  The difference is that a COPY of every voicemail will be sent to the special users via the relay to distribution list.  The caveat is that this is not Unified Messaging.  It does get the voicemail into email but there is no synchronization of MWI and/or message status for users that rely on email client to check messages.

Another option would be an Integrated Messaging solution.  This also is not Unified Messaging but does provide synchronziation between the shared line and email client; however, it requires that each of your special users set up an IMAP connection from their email client to the Unity Connection server.  So, the messages will not be seen in their personal email inbox but rather in a separate IMAP folder in the email client.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hailey,

Thankyou so much for the detailed explanation.

I think creating a email distribution list and setting the message action to " Accept and Relay " will be the best option for us here. Also, suggested by a coworker of mine yesterday, after I started the discussion.

Indu