cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cobras export fails on secure messages

AskQ2Forum_2
Level 1
Level 1

hi, i have unity 7.02 and am doing an export using cobras. I have ticked the option for secure messages to be exported. when i run this it fails on the first subsciber when backing up a secure message. when i run the backup without secure messages it works fine however it fails when we hit a secure message. thanks any advise appreciated...jag              

9 Replies 9

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Did you try using a simple password?

COBRAS does support exporting and importing secure messages into Connection 7.x and later installations and exporting secure messages from Unity 5.x and later installations.  It does not support importing secure messages into any version of Unity or to or from Connection 1.x.

COBRAS employs a highly secure AES 128 bit encryption algorithm to encrypt secure messages in the backup database.  There are also additional checks required on export to see if each individual attachment (for instance a multiple part message) is secure – if it is the entire message needs to be encrypted.  This will add some overhead to the export process – only select the option to include secure messages if you really need them.

There are a few important notes to keep in mind about secure messaging support:

·         Secure messages can be exported from Unity 5.x and later.  This is optional and it’s off by default.  You must select the option to export secure messages AND provide a non trivial password used to encrypt the messages in the backup database.  You will have to provide this password during restore to be able to include those secure messages.  If you forget this password those messages cannot be recovered, they are lost to you.

• Secure      messages can be exported from Connection 7.x and later.  This is optional and it’s off by      default.  You must select the option      to export secure messages AND provide a non trivial password used to      encrypt the messages in the backup database.  You will have to provide this password      during restore to be able to include those secure messages.  If you forget this password those      messages cannot be recovered, they are lost to you.
  • Secure      messages can NOT be exported from Connection 1.x systems.
  • Secure      messages can be restored ONLY onto a Connection 7.x or later server.
  • Secure      messages can NOT be restored onto any version of Unity.
  • You      can NOT extract secure messages from the backup database using the Data Viewer      utility.  You can only restore      messages to a Connection 7.x or later server.  These messages will be marked secure.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

what's the error messages that get kicked out to the log when you export?

mr Lindborg , thank you for your reply. mapi errors in log file.

Ignored the secure message issue for now and did not select secure messages.

Created users in connection.

Manipulated export as required, i.e changed some aliases,

Imported cobras, overwriting users.

Pins went over ok - greetings , number of messages, whether they had enrolled or not went over ok. Only issue is that although system recognises messages in the inbox , new or saved - we can't play them as they are secure. -not good,

all the messages are secured on the old unity system as the message security was set for encrypt all messages.

we have just exported the data from the live system , unity 7.02 with encrypted messages using cobras and chose the secure messages tick box- worked ok, no error messages.

the main steps 1-22 took about 90 minutes however the messages took 6 hours. this produced an output backup of about 2.5gb. the sysem is platform 3 with 5000 users. should it take this long - nearly 8 hours ? will it take the same time to import that into unity connection using  the import tool ? any advise appreciated...thanks , Jag.

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

It will take less time but it can still take a few hours.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

HTH Regards, Yosh

Yahsiel, thank you for the reply. I took an export of the secondary server in the unity failover pair - this time exchange was local and this took only 3 hours - previously took 8 hours from the primary server where exchange was remote. Is it ok to use the export from the failover secondary server to import into connection- all data should be same anyway ?

thanks....jag

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

You should be fine using the data from the Secondary Unity server.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

thanks for your advice...jag