Views
Helpful
Replies

Communication with External TFTP Server

agentjoe141
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I am a newbie in Cisco VoIP and i just came with a simple question, if you guys could help me out really appreciate it.

My Question is :

If i install an external TFTP Server(Not Cisco, simple Linux Server) in my cluster how would the Call Manager ( CUCM ) would contact the TFTP and how does the signaling would occur between them ? How would my external TFTP server would understand DBMON updates or queries sent from the Publisher?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can have an external TFTP or Load server, but there is no dynamic update of the configs/files. It has to be manual. Hence the reason this is not used anywhere much.

The only feasible use you can have with an external TFTP server is for remote sites, specifically during firmware upgrades etc. But other than that it will be more of a hassle if it serves as TFTP in the normal routine.

You will need to update the DHCP scope to point to this TFTP server, and upload all loads/files etc onto this. After any change is made in CUCM you will have to keep updating the files.

So not a recommended option at all.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can have an external TFTP or Load server, but there is no dynamic update of the configs/files. It has to be manual. Hence the reason this is not used anywhere much.

The only feasible use you can have with an external TFTP server is for remote sites, specifically during firmware upgrades etc. But other than that it will be more of a hassle if it serves as TFTP in the normal routine.

You will need to update the DHCP scope to point to this TFTP server, and upload all loads/files etc onto this. After any change is made in CUCM you will have to keep updating the files.

So not a recommended option at all.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

-Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the reply it would definitely help me and others too. I have one more query regarding the same topic. How does the Publisher contacts the TFTP server ( Cisco this time ;) ), do they communicate on UDP:69 / TCP:8099 or there is some special signalling between the Call Manager and the IDS Database as well.?

Thanks

Hi Mate,

Not a problem. If its a Cisco TFTP, all the servers are part of the cluster, have a real time replication running among all the nodes in a cluster using ICCS.

Refer to here for a high level understanding of CUCM Db replication:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/52421/troubleshooting-cucm-database-replication-linux-appliance-model#CUCM_6.x-10.x_Architecture

Regarding to ports in use, Cisco have published a list of ports for the Intra Cluster Signalling here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/port/9_0_1/CUCM_BK_T98E8963_00_tcp-port-usage-guide-90/CUCM_BK_T98E8963_00_tcp-port-usage-guide-90_chapter_01.html

I have pasted only few but you can check all the ports etc. at the referenced link.

Unified CM (DB)

Unified CM (CDLM)

8001 / TCP

Client database change notification

Unified CM (SDL)

Unified CM (SDL)

8002 / TCP

Intracluster communication service

Unified CM (SDL)

Unified CM (SDL)

8003 / TCP

Intracluster communication service (to CTI)

Unified CM

CMI Manager

8004 / TCP

Intracluster communication between Cisco

Endpoint or Gateway

Unified CM

69, 6969, then Ephemeral / UDP

Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) service to phones and gatewa

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

-Terry

Hi Terry,

You are awesome man! Appreciate it. The link you provided is Killer!!! ;)

Thanks you very much (y)

I am Glad that helped! Please do mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry