cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect CUCM 8.0 with CME 4.0

limbadiya
Level 1
Level 1

We have CME 4.0 in production, And I have installed cucm 8.0 in our lab, I want to connect cucm 8.0 with CME 4.0 so I can make the call from CUCM 8.0 and also able receive call on cucm.

How should I do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

The simplest would be to create a H.323 gateway in CUCM with the IP address of the CME box. Then create a route pattern on CUCM with the extension range of the CME phones  e.g. 6XXX and point it to the gateway.

On the CME router create a dial peer pointing to the CUCM IP address with a destination pattern of the CUCM extensions. If you have multiple CUCM servers create one dial peer for each and use the preference command to control the order in which they are used.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

The simplest would be to create a H.323 gateway in CUCM with the IP address of the CME box. Then create a route pattern on CUCM with the extension range of the CME phones  e.g. 6XXX and point it to the gateway.

On the CME router create a dial peer pointing to the CUCM IP address with a destination pattern of the CUCM extensions. If you have multiple CUCM servers create one dial peer for each and use the preference command to control the order in which they are used.

Dear Sir,

I am asking this out of curiosity, why you adviced on using H.323 and not SIP ? is there any issue if i use SIP while connecting CUCM with CME ?

Kindly guide me

Both can be used, H323 is the legacy method and is widely used. I still prefer H323 over SIP for CME-CUCM connections.

Call Types and Call Flows

In general, Unified CM and Unified CME interworking allows all combination of calls from SCCP IP phones to SIP IP phones, or vice versa, across a SIP trunk or H.323 trunk. Calls can be transferred (blind or consultative) or forwarded back and forth between the Unified CM and Unified CME SIP and/or SCCP IP phones.

When connected to Unified CM via H.323 trunks, Unified CME can auto-detect Unified CM calls. When a call terminating on Unified CME is transferred or forwarded, Unified CME regenerates the call and routes the call appropriately to another Unified CME or Unified CM by hairpinning the call. Unified CME hairpins the call legs from Unified CM for the VoIP calls across SIP or H.323 trunks when needed. For more information on allowing auto-detection on a non-H.450 supported Unified CM network and for enabling or disabling supplementary services for H450.2, H450.3, or SIP, refer to the Unified CME product documentation available at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

When connected to Unified CM via SIP trunks, Unified CME does not auto-detect Unified CM calls. By default, Unified CME always tries to redirect calls using either a SIP Refer message for call transfer or a SIP 302 Moved Temporarily message for call forward; if that fails, Unified CME will then try to hairpin the call.

Interoperability of Unified CM and Unified CM Express

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/callpros.html#wp1044453

You can use either, just make sure you choose based on the features you need.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you, that's very informative.

Hi James,

That works great, I have one more question regarding Unity, Is it possible I can transfer my voice mail from CME Unity Express to full Unity 8, so I can send voice mail to exchange? Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: