cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE without smart licensing

hhg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, everyone. We have CUBE running on an ISR4331 with software version 17.06.05. We have not converted this to Smart Licensing yet, but ran into an issue when we lost connectivity to our ISP (not our SIP carrier). We could no longer make inbound or outbound calls to or from the ISR.

I checked the ISR and saw the following errors in the log:

Feb 20 01:00:01: %CUBE-5-LICENSE_INFO: Requesting for 4 CUBE Standard trunk licenses and 0 CUBE Enhanced trunk licenses
Feb 20 01:00:40: %SMART_LIC-3-COMM_FAILED: Communications failure with the Cisco Smart License Utility (CSLU) : Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name

When we restored connectivity to our ISP, everything seemed to work as it does under normal conditions.

Does this happen because we aren't licensed or could this be something else?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That version is only Smart Licensing, so you have no other option. The version you’re using will stop the SIP service if it looses connection long enough with the licensing system. Advice you to upgrade to a version that not have this behaviour, for example 17.9.4a that is the current star marked version.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mdrangell22
Level 1
Level 1

I have had a lot of querie about CUBE licenses.... Cisco TAC told me that if the avegare of my calls is bigger that the cube licenses i have I won't have any issue only a warning message they also told me that any call wont be block or something like that.....

@mdrangell22 Those statements from TAC are accurate in 17.3(2) and above - CUBE licensing is non-blocking - if the router is registered to Smart Licensing and checking in successfully periodically. Actual usage is reported to Cisco as part of the check in; they or the reseller may reach out to a customer if additional licenses are needed.

That version is only Smart Licensing, so you have no other option. The version you’re using will stop the SIP service if it looses connection long enough with the licensing system. Advice you to upgrade to a version that not have this behaviour, for example 17.9.4a that is the current star marked version.

Response Signature