Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 10.5.2 Upgarde from 8.6 and supported gateway IOS verisons

Kevin Santiago
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade CUCM from 8.6.2 to -> 10.5.2. I have many models of gateways running MGCP and two that are used as SIP SBCs.

I am looking for a compatibility matrix for CUCM 8.6.2 as it relates to MGCP gateway IOS versions. What I want to confirm is if there is an IOS updated needed before I upgrade CUCM to version 10.5.2, what version of IOS will be supported on both 8.6.2 & 10.5.2?

I have found the compatibility matrix for CUCM 10.5.2 at the below link. As of now I have not found the same type of matrix that clearly shows the highest version of IOS that CUCM 8.6.2 will support.

I opened a TAC case and I was pointed to the same document I already found and I was also told that there is no version of IOS that is supported on both CUCM 8.6.2 and 10.5.2.  Is that correct , will I have to upgrade the gateway IOS immediately after the CUCM upgrade?

Ideally I would like to upgrade the IOS and phone firmware to versions that are supported on both. I will look into the phone firmware once I have the voice gateway question completed.

Lastly the readiness tool only says that I need to update the IOS versions of my current MGCP gateways with this note… “Recommend updating your gateway with IOS 15.3(3)M or higher”. We have about 60 IOS gateways with different models ( 39xx,29xx, vg350s,etc..)

Thank you for any guidance the community has to offer.

Compatibility matrix for Version 10.5

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/Compatibility/CSR-Compatibility-Matrix-InteractiveHTML.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/versions/IPTMtrix.html

The versions listed there, are the ones the BU tested with for each CUCM release, and are the ones for which we can guarantee things will work, that does not mean you cannot use an older release and that things will break apart because of that. What that means, is that if you run into any kind of issue, and Cisco believes that it has something to do with the IOS release, we can ask you to upgrade to the version listed in the documentation.

With the number of releases between IOS and CUCM, it would be simply impossible to test every possible combination. If you're using a version above what the table lists, that does not mean it's not supported. You can go to the release that is listed with 10.5, and unless you hit a bug, everything should work fine.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/versions/IPTMtrix.html

The versions listed there, are the ones the BU tested with for each CUCM release, and are the ones for which we can guarantee things will work, that does not mean you cannot use an older release and that things will break apart because of that. What that means, is that if you run into any kind of issue, and Cisco believes that it has something to do with the IOS release, we can ask you to upgrade to the version listed in the documentation.

With the number of releases between IOS and CUCM, it would be simply impossible to test every possible combination. If you're using a version above what the table lists, that does not mean it's not supported. You can go to the release that is listed with 10.5, and unless you hit a bug, everything should work fine.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime,

Thank you for your quick reply and clarification. Your point about "using a version above what the table lists", this was my main concern. The versions on the CSR Compatibility Matrix are higher than the test bed document.  I was finding it difficult to find documents as to what IOS is supported on a specific version of CUCM.

Thank you and have a great day.