cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11.5 - Local Route Group Names and Local Route Group Settings

contemE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, what would be the best case usage for this feature?  Or shall I ask it this way, can this be used for disaster recovery/failover for outbound calls.

1st entry Local Route Group Settings is our on-prem PRI's

2nd entry Local Route Group Settings is our remote site's PRI's

If 1st entry PRI's goes down or all channels in use, will my next outbound call go out the 2nd entry of PRI's?  (Using same Route Pattern)

5 Replies 5

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

To configure redundant paths for your outbound calls, you can simply add two or more Gateways/SIP trunks to your Route Group.

A Standard Local Route Group, on the other hand, does not play any roles in creating call path redundancy but rather it's a useful feature for reducing the number Route Lists and Route Patterns in large clusters with numerous locations/PSTN connections.

Let's say you have 20 sites (1 HQ and 19 Remote sites) whithin the same CUCM cluster, and each site has its own gateway/PSTN connection.

In this scenario, WITHOUT the use of Standard Local Route Groups, you would need to create 1 route group, 1 Route List, and at least 3 route patterns (i.e Local, Long Distance, Emergency and etc.) for EVERY single location.

This means a total of 20 Route Groups, 20 Route Lists and at least 60 Route Patterns. It can get very messy and even worse as the number of your sites grow. This is where Standard Local Route Groups come in.

With the use of Standard Local Route Groups, in the scenario above, you would still need 20 Route Groups, but only 1 Route List and 3 or a few more Route Patterns for the entire cluster, NOT for every location anymore.

Example below shows the usage of Standard Local Route Group in a cluster with only two sites but the concept is the same for any number of sites.

HQ_Route_Group
First path= HQ_Gateway
Second path= RemoteSite_Gateway

RemoteSite_Route_Group
First path= RemoteSite_Gateway
Second path= HQ_Gateway

SLRG Name
Standard Local Route Group

All_Site_Route_List
Route Group= Standard Local Route Group

9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX
Route List = All_Site_Route_List

91.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX

HQ_ Device_Pool
Local Route Group = HQ_Route_Group

Site B Device Pool
Local Route Group = RemoteSite_Route_Group

Hope this helps answer your question.

Hi TechLvr,

Yes, I have 2 Gateways in the Route Group already.  But if these 2 Gateways went down, I was mislead to believe that the 2nd group in Standard Local Route Group (or rather on the Local Route Group Settings) that this Route Group would assume call processing.  Is that not the case?  The only "rollover" would be in Route Group itself?

Scenario 1:
Route List 
Route Group 1 (Gateway A, Gateway B)
Route Group 2 (Gateway C, Gateway D) 

In scenario 1, the 2 Route Groups are directly associated with a Route List. If Group 1 (gateways A and B) go down, the Route List will then start hunting Route Group 2 (Gateway C and D). 

Scenario 2:
Route List 
Standard Local Route Group 1 
Standard Local Route Group 2

Device Pool > LRG > Standard Local Route Group 1 > Route Group 1 (Gateway A, Gateway B)
                                 Standard Local Route Group 2 > Route Group 2 (Gateway B, Gateway C)

In scenario 2, Route Group 1 and Route Group 2 are not associated with the Route List. Instead, the Route List is pointed to SLRG 1 and SLRG 2. Then, at the device pool level, SLRG 1 is associated with Route Group 1 (Gateway A and Gateway B), and SLRG 2 is associated with Route Group 2 (Gateway B and Gateway C). Now, if SLRG1/Route Group 1 (Gateway A and Gateway B) goes down, the Route List  will start hunting SLRG 2/Route Group 2 (Gateway B and Gateway C). 

It is NOT recommended to combine scenario 1 and scenario 2. 

Perfect explanation TechLvr, thank you !!!

TechLvr, one last question, for Scenario 1 and Scenario 2, what is the expected behaviour for an outbound call if for Scenario1 Route Group 1's Gateway A and Gateway B are all "busy" on calls, here I expect the call to roll over to Route Group 2.

But with Scenarion 2, is a busy encounter on SLRG 1 still going to roll the call over to SLRG 2?  Even if SLRG 1 is T1/PRI and SLRG 2 is SIP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: