Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 9.1.2 Device Owner ID and licensing

richb1971
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Whilst trying to tidy up our licensing I noticed no devices have an Owner. I suspect this is down to us using EM but I can see its having a negative impact on our Licensing Requirements. 

I was under the impression that CUWL Standard would allow 10 devices per User but when I assign All phones (1000+) to a fictitious Owner the CUCM accepts it and reflects it in the ELM/CUCM Licensing page. Surely this isn't allowed? If so why has CUCM not flagged it up?

I was hoping the Cisco Device Assignment Tool might help but it's not there anymore! :(

Rich

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Unger
Level 7
Level 7

Hi There,

The Device Assignment Tool (DAT) can be found here:
https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286284802&flowid=77897&softwareid=282204704&release=DAT&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Products > Unified Communications > Call Control > Unified Communications Manager (CallManager) > Unified Communications Manager Version 11.0, and then select Unified Communications Manager / CallManager / Cisco Unity Connection Utilities

In your example, if you assigned 1000 devices to a single user, CUCM should calculate this out as 100 CUWL standard licenses (1000/10). What exactly is the issue here? Is your UCM showing the 1000 devices as 1 single CUWL standard license?

If you are trying to determine if there is a user consuming more than 1 CUWL license, navigate to System > Licencing > License Usage Report

UCM-9.X-CUWL.pngUser-Licenses.png

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for reply. 

I'm trying to work out how many licenses we need when renewing SWSS. I think we have too many licenses currently. The ELM is reporting we need 1800 licenses when we only have 1200 staff (without Jabber or SNR etc). I was hoping for an easy way to assign a device to our Extension Mobility users to reduce the requirement. I've seen the post suggesting running a CLI command :

admin: run sql update device set fkenduser=(select fkenduser from extensionmobilitydynamic where fkdevice=device.pkid) where name like 'SEP%'

to associate the current User to their current phone. It may not be 100 % but should be more or less correct. I haven't used this before and so am wary of it.

Is the DAT tool 'friendly' and will meet my needs or do you have experience of the above command?

Ta

Rich

Hi There,

I don't think the DAT tool is going to help you assign logged in EM users to a particular device based on what you describe. However as a general note, the DAT tool allows you to "preview" the changes before committing anything, so feel free to fire it up and see if it can work for you.

With regards to the SQL query, I have not used that statement before on a production system, but the logic makes sense to me and I just briefly tested it in the lab on CUCM 9.1.1.20000-5 and it seems to work fine. As always, before executing any SQL statements on production gear, you should fully understand what they are going to do (ideally test them in a lab), and also have recent DRS backups available for CUCM.

Hope this helps.