Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC Deployment Problems with SCCM

ecornwell
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We're in the process of starting to use SCCM and want to use to help normalize our CUPC depolyment.  We're currently trying to deploy CUPC 8.6.1 with the exe.  I've got everything created as necessary in SCCM but it isn't working.  If I run the silent install option provided in the deployment guide, it works fine.  When I deploy it with SCCM, it fails every time.  As a test, I manually ran the silent install as the local system account like SCCM would and it failed.  Has anyone had any luck delpoying throu SCCM? 

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

ecornwell
Level 2
Level 2

I think I found the problem.  There looks to be an issue with install shield on 64bit systems.  When running in the Local Security the 64bit file re-direction gets in the way.  The MSI is copied to one location and the msiexe looks in another.  This happens when there isn't a 32bit and 64bit MSI package.  The only way I've seen around it is to change where Installshield tries to put the cached MSI which is something I think the packager has to change. 

ecornwell
Level 2
Level 2

I thought I'd follow up for anyone that finds this, I found a way around it.  Here's the full install string I use:

"CiscoUnifiedPersonalCommunicatorK9.exe"  /s /b"C:\SWSetup\CUPCInst" /v"/q ADDLOCAL=\"CUPC,ClicktoCall,InternetExplorer,Firefox,OfficeIntegrationC2X,SmartTags,Outlook,CSF,PrivateJRE\" RebootYesNo=NO /log C:\Windows\CUPC-Install.log"

/s - Makes the install Silent

/b"%path%" - Tells install shield to copy the files to a specific location, this gets around the bug I posted about earlier.

/v....  - This is given in the cisco documentation for deploying the software.  I added RebootYesNo=NO so it wouldn't reboot.

Now that that's done, I have to figure out a way of installing it while the applications are in use.  Right now it will error if IE, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, or Firefox are running.