cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design question for UM - Centralized Exchange, distributed Unity

kulagowskir
Level 1
Level 1

Here's the situation. Please let me know if I'm understanding everything correctly.

Two data centers, Europe and CONUS, have centralized Exchange servers to support remote offices. Most European remote sites have average response times ~150ms, but AsiaPac is in the ~300ms range.

Each remote office would get a Call Manager and a local Unity system. The Unity system would store voicemail in case of link failure to the datacenter, give language-specific greetings, etc.

If the link from the office to the data center is up, then the Unity machine will then send VMs to the Exchange server which would then put the VM into the users mailbox.

If the link is down, it will store the voicemail. Users will still be able to get new VM messages since they'll be on their local Unity box.

Users will be able to listen to old VM messages if they're configured to download email to their local machine since at that point it's just another email.

I've been going through the design guide and want to make sure that I'm understanding that this is not a recommended solution? None of the offices have a local Exchange server. Is the latency going to be a deal-breaker for a UM deployment?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

This would definitely not be a supported configuration. Unity must me on the same LAN as the Exchange server, DC and GC. The communication between Exchange and Unity is very time sensitive and can't tolerate delay or packet loses at all. Just me that what you are planning now will flat out not work.

So in this design you would need to have Unity at the datacenter or go with a VM solution. With the servers at the datacenter, they would register back to CM over the WAN but you would need to have QOS setup for the voice traffic. But in the event where the WAN went down people would not be able to get to voicemail.

The other option would be for you to have CM and Unity at the datacenter and use SRST at the remote sites:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd62348

I know have enough detail to say if this would work for you but you might want to check it out.

Thanks,

Keith

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

This would definitely not be a supported configuration. Unity must me on the same LAN as the Exchange server, DC and GC. The communication between Exchange and Unity is very time sensitive and can't tolerate delay or packet loses at all. Just me that what you are planning now will flat out not work.

So in this design you would need to have Unity at the datacenter or go with a VM solution. With the servers at the datacenter, they would register back to CM over the WAN but you would need to have QOS setup for the voice traffic. But in the event where the WAN went down people would not be able to get to voicemail.

The other option would be for you to have CM and Unity at the datacenter and use SRST at the remote sites:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd62348

I know have enough detail to say if this would work for you but you might want to check it out.

Thanks,

Keith