cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

determining last access to voicemail through outlook

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

we have users who havent logged into thier phone to send or retrieve voicemail in years...they use thier outlook with headsets. Currently, we are capturing the "TimeLastCall" parameter to determine when user last accessed voicemail (for the TUI only) but the customer is reuqeusting that we find out whether or not it is possible to capture last access of voicemail from outlook. I was just hoping some of you advanced design/admin people may have a suggestion. Thanks. Unity 2.4.6, 3.1.x and 4.0.x

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there's going to be any way to specifically indicate if a user has accessed (or sent) a voice mail from their desktop here.

If they're using Outlook then this is a UM installation and they are also getting email/fax messages in their inbox - you'd have to have a client running that logged information somewhere central when they opened,created,deleted a voice mail. VMO is a client side only app (i.e. it doesn't have logging or db access back to the server - it connects only to the user's exchange mailstore). That's kind of a tricky problem to solve.

You can get message activity for users off the notification logs (i.e. when we turn lamps on/off for users based on message store activity) which would tell you if user's are getting/listening to messages - but you wont get any kind of detailed counts or be able to prove they're listening to messages (i.e. as opposed to deleting them or having a rule move them somewhere or whatever) - only that VMs were going into the store and leaving or becoming read. The message activity report isn't something that can be run for large groups of users - it's intended for troubleshooting issues with notification triggers so it's a "one user at a time" kind of report. Probably not what you're looking for.

There may be some sort of 3rd party tools to specifically log/report on messages based on message class/type information but I've never run across such a beast...

Thanks Jeff for a very quick response. This is what I understood and wanted to hear back from you. I will pass this information along to the customer.