Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT - Clarification

sundarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Setup present with Unity 4.X in the network with Exchange Server 2000 coresident on the Unity Server itself and network uses only Voicemail and not unified messaging.

DiRT Tool when used for backup will it backup the Exchange Users/ Message Store details or will it backup only the Unity part.?

If DiRT took is not able to backup the Exchange Data

along with Unity data, any other tools present to backup both Exchange and Unity data available.

regards

Sundara Rajan .R

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The help file and training videos on the DiRT home page answer this (and other questions) in great detail:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

The short story is DiRT can optionally backup Exchange messages - it uses ExMerge for this. I added this option so sites migrating to new domains and such can cart messages along easily. This option is NOT meant to let you skip out on buying an Exchange aware mailstore backup - ExMerge is kind of slow and makes large, uncompressed backups. There's technically no limit on the number of users/messages you can back up but it can take quite a while. I don't recommend it for doing regular backups unless your site is reasonably small (i.e. under 200) or you are doing a one time migration.