Views
Helpful
Replies

Download Licenses from CUC

Soporteco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Currently we're having an issue with our Cisco Unity Connection (subscriber-Vmware): we cannot log in to the Web administration page, and when we ssh to the server we get Read-only access:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/log/active/platform/log/cli.bin (Read-only file system)

I've read a lot about this issue, and we might need to reinstall the Subscriber and then I suppose we only need to add it to the cluster and the Publisher will replicate the configuration. Nevertheless, we're worried about the licenses.

Each server has its own licenses right? Then the Publisher has some licenses but Subscriber needs different ones.

Is there a way to download the licenses of the CUC Subscriber from the CLI? I've seen the command "file get license" but it needs the name of the license as a parameter, and I don't know it. What can we do?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mate,

Pre9.X licenses were uploaded to the Publisher server but for Unity Connection HA licenses need to be uploaded to the subscriber server as well. Post 9.X releases the licenses are uploaded to ELM/PLM and product instances (only publisher) are added/synced to PLM. CUCM Subscribers will never need to upload any type of licenses regradless of the version.

Regarding your issue, try running a recovery disk and it normally fixes the file system and gets you running, even though its still recommended to rebuild the server but you can then schedule the rebuild of the server at a convenient time.

Hope that helps.

-Terry

Editing this post to correct the information

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mate,

Pre9.X licenses were uploaded to the Publisher server but for Unity Connection HA licenses need to be uploaded to the subscriber server as well. Post 9.X releases the licenses are uploaded to ELM/PLM and product instances (only publisher) are added/synced to PLM. CUCM Subscribers will never need to upload any type of licenses regradless of the version.

Regarding your issue, try running a recovery disk and it normally fixes the file system and gets you running, even though its still recommended to rebuild the server but you can then schedule the rebuild of the server at a convenient time.

Hope that helps.

-Terry

Editing this post to correct the information

Hi Terry. 

Thanks for your answer. I'm going to rebuild the Subscriber, it doesn't take too much time, so I will do it tonight. One doubt: is it the same with the CUCM? Everything related to licensing is handled by the Publisher?

Yes its same with the CUCM as well. Licensing information is with the publisher server.

Just rebuild and restore from DRS backups and you should be good.

Good luck with the rebuild - do update back how you go.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Hi. I reinstalled the CUC Subscriber. Everything went fine, but after finishing, i'm seeing the following when I run the command utils dbreplication runtimestate on Publisher:

admin:utils dbreplication runtimestate 

DB and Replication Services: ALL RUNNING

Cluster Replication State: REPLICATION RESET all Started at 2015-04-01-18-59
DB Version: ccm8_6_2_20000_2
Number of replicated tables: 541

Cluster Detailed View from PUB (2 Servers):

PING            REPLICATION     REPL.   DBver&  REPL.   REPLICATION SETUP
SERVER-NAME     IP ADDRESS      (msec)  RPC?    STATUS          QUEUE   TABLES  LOOP?   (RTMT) & details 
-----------     ------------    ------  ----    -----------     -----   ------- -----   -----------------
UNITYMAN01      172.16.18.9     0.046   Yes     Connected       0       match   Yes     (2) PUB
UNITYMAN02      172.16.18.10    0.258   Yes     Off-Line        N/A     match   Yes     (0) N/A   

I have followed all instructions of the following link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unity-connection/116942-technote-uc-00.html

But nothing has worked. It seems as if there is a problem with replication between both nodes.

**Besides, I log into CUC Subscriber Admin Page and I only see the CUCdemo.lic, but shouldn't I see the same licenses of the Publisher?

Hi Mate,

My apologizes, from working with different versions, I confused the Unity Connection licensing. You actually have to upload license on the Unity Connection Subscriber for HA in the version CUCM 8.X and earlier (this is only for the CUC HA version only, and post 9.X, i did couple you jus need to add publisher instance to ELM/PLM, CUCM Subs dont need license uploaded regardless of the versions).

Thats the reason its showing up the DEMO licenses.

Can you email licensing@cisco.com to provide you the license file for this server and then try again? My apologies again for this error.

-Terry

Would it be possible to rescue the license files of the subscriber if I restore a DRS Backup that I have? Does the DRS files include the licenses?... And in case it would work, I should first separate the Subscriber from the Publisher, and try it, right?

In Unity Connection HA clusters normally both the clusters are backed up separately. If you have DRS backups from the sub server you can try backing up the server and check the licenses.

If that doesn't help you should be speaking to GLO team and they should be able to sort out the licensing for you.

Please let me know how you go.

-Terry

Hi. 

I had to open a case with licensing and they sent me the licenses. I also opened a case with TAC, and the engineer said DRS doesn't back-up the license files. They changed some things and compared tables on Pub and Sub, and after resetting the cluster, the replication status is now ok.

Thanks for your help!