Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover install.

d1nnsear
Level 1
Level 1

UM 4.0.4sr1. CCM 4.0.2a Ex2k3 Cluster

I would like to have Unity failover, but I only have one server at the moment, is it ok to build this as the primary failover server & get Unity up & running and import users onto it? Then in say x weeks\months, purchase another Unity server (with the same hardware config) and install this as the secondary server?

Obviously I realise that ideally I'd have the 2 servers & build them simultaniously, but can I er 'stagger' the failover install?

Cheers,

NJ.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

That really won't be a problem at all. Doesn't matter when you bring the second server online since the second server is going to read the database of the first one anyway. It is mainly a licensing issue.

Check out this link for adidtional info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_book09186a00801b9241.html

Please remember to rate all replies

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

That really won't be a problem at all. Doesn't matter when you bring the second server online since the second server is going to read the database of the first one anyway. It is mainly a licensing issue.

Check out this link for adidtional info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_book09186a00801b9241.html

Please remember to rate all replies

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Install the first server as if it was going to be in a failover mode. The main thing would be to use a common domain account to start MSSqlServer and SqlServerAgent services as the two server will have to authenticate to each other and LocalSystem account will not have the permission to.

If you desire a failover config, make sure that you get your failover license upfront.

In general, you would be better off if you got identical servers for failover (and also exchange cluster) and if you wait weeks/months, you may find that the server you desire is only available on an auction site.

Thanks for the tips folks, that's great.

I'll get onto the licence.

Andrew Short
Level 1
Level 1

If you have more than 32 ports, there isn't a lot left for you to do to make your one server a primary.

If you have fewer than 32 ports, then upgrading MSDE to SQL is the biggest thing you have to do to change it. There is plenty of docs on CCO about installing a primary and upgrading a lone server to a primary failover server.

There isn't a LOT to the upgrade, some license files to install if they aren't already there, upgrade to SQL 2K server. You could easily install Unity as a single server, and sometime after that make the conversion. Just got done doing that myself.

I wouldn't let it run as a "primary failover" without it's partner for any period of time. That may not be a supportable configuration. besides, picking your partner server is part of running FailoverConfig.exe. I don't think you can configure failover until both Unity servers are in place.