cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Unity- Messages Delievered to Exchange 2010 but cannot be played back via phone.

Good Morning,

Please help.  We recently added exchanged 2010 to our enviornment and we are now running in mixed mode between exchange 2003 (partner Server) and exchange 2010.  We followed the recommended document (that has been referenced several times in threads) and for a little while everything was working fine.  Now when our subcribers try to login via phone to thier 2010 account, they get "You Messages are unavilalbe at this time" message.

Delivery of messages is working fine, and everything is working fine for 2003 subscribers including calling in by phone.  This is only for 2010 subscriber that we have migrated from 2003 to 2010.  When I run the GUSI, for the MAPI Connection I get the following output, I am hoping that someone can give me some ideas:

Outlook is not installed on the local server
     MAPI Provider :  CDO Detected & No Exchange System Management : Mailstore is not Exchage 2007/2010
     MAPI Shared Memory: (HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Applications\<process>\SharedMemMaxSize)
            AvCsMgr : is set to recommended value
            AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr : is set to recommended value
            AvNotifierMgr : is set to recommended value
            AvUMRSyncSvr : is set to recommended value
            CsBMsgConnector : RegKey not found.  Recommend add the key CsBMsgConnector and set DWORD SharedMemMaxSize with a value of 4194304 (decimal)
            CsBridgeConnector : RegKey not found.  Recommend add the key CsBridgeConnector and set DWORD SharedMemMaxSize with a value of 4194304 (decimal)
            CsVpimConnector : RegKey not found.  Recommend add the key CsVpimConnector and set DWORD SharedMemMaxSize with a value of 4194304 (decimal)

Has anyone expierienced this before after following the document.  We did this integration after the new patch was released by Microsoft in October.

I can assure you that our additional Mailstore is Exchange 2010.

Also we are running Unity version 7.0(2)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marcus

6 Replies 6

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I will try to help here. Taking your output and commenting in-line....

Outlook is not installed on the local server

This is a good thing.

MAPI Provider :  CDO Detected & No Exchange System Management : Mailstore is not Exchage 2007/2010

If you have 2010 installed in the environement with users on the store, this is correct. You also stated your partner is 2003 server and not the 2010 so it stating that your mailstore is not 2007 or 2010 is also correct.

MAPI Shared Memory: (HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Applications\\SharedMemMaxSize)
            AvCsMgr : is set to recommended value
            AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr : is set to recommended value
            AvNotifierMgr : is set to recommended value
            AvUMRSyncSvr : is set to recommended value

These are fine.

CsBMsgConnector : RegKey not found.  Recommend add the key CsBMsgConnector and set DWORD SharedMemMaxSize with a value of 4194304 (decimal)
            CsBridgeConnector : RegKey not found.  Recommend add the key CsBridgeConnector and set DWORD SharedMemMaxSize with a value of 4194304 (decimal)
            CsVpimConnector : RegKey not found.  Recommend add the key CsVpimConnector and set DWORD SharedMemMaxSize with a value of 4194304 (decimal)

If you are not using broadcast messaging, VPIM, or Unity Bridge networking, you can ignore these three above.

So with those comments, I am wondering why you are finding an issue with the GUSI output and thinking one has something to do with the other. Also, I am wondering something...

The users that have the issue are all on 2010 Exchange. Were they all moved from existing 2003 mailboxes or created on 2010 from scratch? If they were moved, I am wondering if you have old mailboxstoreobjectid in their SQL tables pointing to their old 2003 mailbox location. This is what is looked at when you log in via phone and if it has not been updated with the new 2010 location, then you will get this error upon login via phone. Let us know if these were migrated between Exchange servers or if these users were created there from scratch.

The other thing I would make sure you did in the 2010 doc here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/using_exch2010/usingex2010withcu7x5x.html#wp46611

Step 19 Move or create a mailbox for the Cisco Unity message store services account (typically UnityMsgStoreSvc), as applicable:

Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007
mailbox already exists

Move the mailbox for the account to Exchange 2010.

No mailbox

Create a mailbox for the account in Exchange 2010.

Step 20 Remove the Exchange 2010 RPC limit for the message store services account by creating and applying a new mailbox policy to the message store services account:

a. Open an Exchange 2010 Management Shell window.

b. Create a new policy with unlimited RPC connections, for example:

new-throttlingpolicy -name "Unity Exchange 2010 Policy" -RCAMaxConcurrency $null

c. Apply the new policy to the message store services account, for example:

set-mailbox -identity "UnityMsgStoreSvc" -throttlingpolicy "Unity Exchange 2010 Policy"

d. Confirm that the mailbox is using the new policy, for example:

get-mailbox -identity "UnityMsgStoreSvc" | fl | findstr "Throttling Policy"

e. If you have more than one Cisco Unity server: Repeat Step c and Step d for every message store services account in the forest.

We recommend that you apply the policy to all message store service accounts, even the accounts for Cisco Unity servers for which you do not currently intend to home subscriber mailboxes in Exchange 2010 message stores. Applying the policy does not affect Cisco Unity performance, and it ensures that you will not encounter problems if you later move mailboxes to an Exchange 2010 server.

f. On each Exchange 2010 server with the CAS role, restart the Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service.

Thanks!

Tray

Tray,

Thank you for your response.  The only reason I was going of off the GUSI output was that I was trying to piece together several threads on here with several different problems.  Most discussions were pointing to the version of MAPI being the problem.  I was gathering from the discussions that the MAPI was listed in the GUSI output so I was concerned that there may be a problem with MAPI.  That is all.  (Oh also, yes, I realize not having outlook on Unity is a good thing.  I copied one line to high )

Yes I did follow the steps below, step by step, on the document with the assistance of my Exchange GURUS. 

Yes, all of these users were migrated from 2003 to 2010.  There is still the old OU on the 2003 as well as the new 2010 folders.  If it is not too difficult to explain here, how would I verify that their mailboxstoreobjectid is in the SQL tables and is still pointing to 2003?  Is there a way to actively update this when subscribers are migrated from 2003 to 2010?  The strange thing is that it worked for several weeks and then quit working.  I thought maybe it was a throttling issue with Exchange but I had the exchange GURUs verify that the correct policies from the documents below were in place and they have restarted the RPC Client Access Service since the problem started.

Thanks again Tray for your help and quick response.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks again,

Marcus

Thanks for answering all those questions/tasks. I know it was a laundry list. If it was working fine before, it may not be a matter of the mailboxstoreobjectid pointing to the old location of the subscriber's mailbox. Either way though, you can verify by looking up one of the affected subscribers in the subscriber table in UnityDb in SQL Enterprise manager, note down their mailboxstoreobjectid. Then, open the mailboxstore table in UnityDb in SQL Enterprise Manager and see if the mailboxstoreobjectid noted earlier matches the 2010 store mailboxstoreobjectid the subscriber resides on. If it matches, you are fine. If not, this might be why it's failing on TUI access after the pin is entered.

Tray

Tray,

I ran the query you suggested.  It appears as though the mailboxstoreobjectId is the same.  I came across this document and I am wondering about your thoughts on it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00809aaa98.shtml

Even though this document is for Unity 4.X,  I am wondering if I can benefit from running the following command:

\CommServer\ConfigurationSetup\Setup.exe/sync

I am guessing it will be database intensive to do so, so I should do this afterhours. 

There are two specific errors we are getting:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: CiscoUnity_MALEx
Event Category: Error
Event ID: 30012
Date:  XXXXXX
Time:  XXXXXX
User:  N/A
Computer: XXXX

Description:
An occurred which prevents successful Exchange access by AvCsMgr via MAPI.

This is typically an indication of configuration issues with Unity, Exchange, or the MAPI subsystem.

Verify that the Unity services accounts are granted the correct permissions and that there are no issues with installation.  The SysCheck utility may assist in diagnosing the problem.

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: CiscoUnity_MALEx
Event Category: Error
Event ID: 30007
Date:  XXXXX
Time:  XXXXX
User:  N/A
Computer: XXXXXX
Description:
An error occurred while AvCsMgr tried to logon to MAPI mailbox cn=xxx.xxxx,cn=xxxxx,ou=xxxxx,o=xxxxxx on server xxxxxx. The MAPI subsystem return the following error: The information store could not be opened..

The only failure that comes back from the syscheck is that the CSA is running.

Thanks for you help so far.  It is appreciated.

Marcus

Ok,  I guess I will continue this thread.  A few things.  I cannot seem to run the setup.exe /sycn command as I have some users Homed to 2010 so the message store wizard does not want to complete.

I attempted to update the MAPI connection by renaming the current mapi connection to mapi32old.dll and got a new MAPI32.dll, and I also reinstalled the new MapiExchangeCdo from Microsofts website.

When I reboot Unity, subscribers homed to Exchange 2010 can access thier mailbox via the TUI for about 10 minutes before they get "Your messages are not available now, to send a message 2, for setup 4, for help 0"

Has anyone else expierienced this problem with a mixed enviornment? Could this be an Exchange problem?

I am not the exchange administrator so I have to be prepared to have answers for the exchange GURUs if I need to ask them to look at something.

Thanks,

Marcus

Good Morning,

Just as an FYI I fixed this by using the following procedure, referenced in this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3238293#3238293  but the key was to have the CAS and the Exchange boxes both rebooted after the changes for it to work properly.  If you do not reboot the CAS and then Exchange servers you will continue to get this problem until you do.  At least in our case a simple service restart of the PRC Client Access service did not fix the problem.

Also you can reference this document for the correct patch and assistance in updating MAPI:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12848#comment-4981

-->Rename the mapi32.dll file to mapi32old.dll
-->Stop unity from the system tray
-->Stop CUMDBMonitor service
-->Uninstall the Microsoft collaboration and api from Add/Remove Program
-->Restart the Unity Server

-->Stop unity from the system tray
-->Stop CUMDBMonitor service
-->Re-Install the latest MAPI patch via this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=94274318-27c4-4d8d-9bc5-3e6484286b1f&displaylang=en

-->Restart the server
-->Restart the CAS and Exchange Servers respectively.

We now have been running 48 hours without any event errors in either the Exchange DB logs or on Unity.

Hope that this helps future gurus in solving this problem.

Thanks,

Marcus