cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check if successfully uninstalled unity attributes from AD/Exchange?

jjia
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Unity Unified messaging system 4.0(4) with AD/Exchange 2000 off box.

If I want to uninstall unity and rebuild unity on a different box, I firstly will use the uninstall tool to uninstall unity. But I am not sure how I can check the uninstall is successful or not, if it is possible from Exchange or AD point of view, I can check I have removed the unity attributes successfully so that I can go to next step?

The reason is that in Lab, in my first try of uninstalling and then a fresh re-install unity, using Bulk Import tried to import subscribers from CSV/AD, I could not import them into unity successfully. Got the message of the following:

Error)

Unable to find an Active Directory account for (MTownsend).

Subscriber record: Townsend,Meghan,2901,MTownsend

The following LDAP query did not return any matches:

(&(homeMDB=*)(objectClass=user)(mailnickname=MTownsend)(!ciscoEcsbuUMLocationObjectId=*))

Some reasons why this might happen:

1) The account does not exist in the directory.

2) The account does not exist in the selected container or any of its sub-containers.

3) The account exists but is already associated with a Unity subscriber.

4) For a user account, the account exists but does not have a mailbox.

5) For a contact, the account exists but does not have an email address.

Then on my 2nd try of uninstalling, and re-installing, I can successfully import subscribers with those created after my first uninstalling.

Thanks,

JJ

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi JJ -

In Cisco's Unity Reconfiguration guide, they have all of the steps for moving Unity to a different server. I recommend you check out this link BEFORE uninstalling your production Unity system and likewise confirm your steps with TAC http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a85.html#wp1040765

When you run the Unity uninstall, it does not remove the AD accounts or Exchange accounts. Only Unity specific information is removed. The user object attribute fields in the schema remain, those beginning with cisco-Ecsbu. These can be viewed using ADSIEdit. Navigate to the Domain NC container, and expand it. You will see DC=domain, DC=xyz, DC=com as an example of the domain in which the Unity subscribers reside. Select the OU level which contains your users and select a user. Right-click and select Properties. One of the attributes you can display is ciscoEcsbuDtmfid. When voicemail enabled, the user will have the extension listed in this field. If the user is deleted in Unity or Unity is uninstalled, this field will be empty.

Sincerely,

Ginger

Thanks for your reply Ginger.

I found the first try's subscriber attribute's information was still there. In this case, if I only use ADSIEDit to delete the attributes begining with ciscoEcs, do you think I can import this user into unity as a subscriber?

Thanks again,

JJ

Hi JJ -

Well ... if I had an operational Unity running, here is what I would do first:

- Attempt to delete the subscriber from the Unity SA, which removes the subscriber properties from the user object in AD

- Failing that, I would run the Unity utility Remove Subscriber Properties (aka Bunny Killer), which removes same. I have in the past had to run this utility because another admin disabled/hid the user account from the GAL before deleting the subscriber from Unity. But that occurrence for me is rare.

- Without an operational Unity, you can remove the data from within ADSIEdit. But I would test this in a lab environment for sure, maybe with just one user.

That said, it's not what I would do in a production environment without soliciting help/advice from TAC.

Sincerely,

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thanks again. I will do the test in lab.

By the way, if the unity partner message store is Exchange 5.5 on PDC, which windows NT utility I can check the user attributes for unity subscriber? Can I use the Exchange Server 5.5 Exchange Administrator program in raw mode to edit Directory Store objects' properties?

Regards,

JJ

Hello JJ -

Yes, with caution, you can. I mention the word caution because you are editing the directory in raw mode. Here is a good Cisco link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00800875c5.shtml

It describes the custom attributes that Unity uses for Exchange 5.5 subscribers.

Regards,

Ginger