Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&P Publisher planned shut down - consequences and expectations

Jesse3620
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, 

We currently have a CUCM cluster that consists of 4 IM&P Servers on 11.5. These servers are configured in two presence redundancy groups of two servers each in CUCM. 

Due to some external circumstances, we need to shut down the IM&P publisher. I know this will probably be bad for a lot of reasons (backups, db replication, loss of redundancy, users will failover, etc.) but can someone elaborate on the consequences of shutting this server down and keeping it shut down for a few months while moving to another Voice platform? 

I know this question is very subjective and depends on personal risk tolerance, but will it be 'ok' to keep the IM&P publisher shutdown for a few months? Or, Is it worth it to migrate to another site? 

I understand this is a strange questions but I'm really just seeing if anyone can offer some more info based on their experience. 

Thanks! 

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As with the CUCM publisher, the IM&P publisher is the writeable copy of the database; you won’t be able to make config changes while it is offline. Basic user functions should still work, although I have not seen a real-life occurrence of it being offline for months. The SIP PUBLISH trunk may work for on the phone presence if you set it up with SRV record to failover to another node.