Views
Helpful
Replies

Major, Minor and Maintenance Releases for PCP

Anthony Gerbic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Team,

There has been some customer discussions on one of our customer/sales mailer threads about major, minor and maintenance releases for PCP. I would like to clarify the relationship between builds for PCP and our version numbers. I believe this is also true for the PCA product.

Back in the CUPM 1.x and 2.x days we had our own numbering system where the dot zero revs represented major framework changes and dot one or dot two were built on these framework changes and so were minor releases. The product did not have what would be called maintenance releases. The sales and customer base could not tell from the revs which CUCM/UC release was supported by which CUPM rev, so we aligned with the UC/CSR release numbering by going from CUPM 2.2 to CUPM 8.5 in one jump. We have been in alignment since.

Because of the alignment of revs it is not possible to determine today what revs of PCP are major or minor based on the revision of PCP.  You can only tell which rev was released to support which UC/CSR release.  A good example of this behavior is that CUCM 10.5(1) and PCP 10.5.1 came out at the same time, the CSR 10.5.1 release. CUCM was a maintenance release and PCP was a major release.

My advice is not to get tripped up thinking the numbering is an accurate indicator for which rev is more stable (the dot-dot release) or which is a major (the dot zero release).

Regards

0 Replies 0