cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP or SCCP question

Hunt.Lee
Level 1
Level 1

What signalling protocol should I use on my connection gateway in order to fully support my customer's legacy voice mail system (running on SMDI protocol)? Should I use MGCP or SCCP? Is there anything that I need to look out for / consider in order to decide which path I should take? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is probably a question more appropriate for the IP Telephony group - this forum is for questions about the Unity voice message system.

Hi lindborg,

I tried posting on that forum but nobody offered any help =( Hence I thought I will try here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps in advance,

Hunt

You realize you're asking me to help you use a competative product, right? Just checking ;->

Honestly, this isn't my area of expertise - some of the other TAC guys out here may know more what you need to do here.

I know my client is bad, they should use Cisco Unity, right? (grin)

Any way you may be able to just bounce it pass your TAC guys over there?

Again, greatly appreciated your help.

Cheers,

Hunt

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure that there are a lot of advantages one way or the other. What gateway were you planning on using? Most I know of will either support MGCP or SCCP but not both. They both can support call preservation (if implemented on the gateway). Of course, mgcp is standards-based while sccp is not, but since you're talking to a CallManager, it shouldn't matter. SCCP has a bit lower burden on a CallManager in terms of device weight and is pretty easy to troubleshoot, too.

Hi Marschne,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I think I got it figured out =) VG248 is the only gateway that actually supports SCCP, whereas Catalyst 6500 Gateway & Cisco 7600 DPA gateways can only support MGCP.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Lee

I believe the VG248 AND DPA still do SCCP while the Catalyst 6000 cards (6608/6624) do MGCP. The IOS routers can support MGCP or H.323.