cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving users from one Unity domain to another

ipt.engineer
Level 1
Level 1

We have two unity servers, 4.0(5), each in their own domain, one is VMO with Exchange 2000 on-box, and the other is UM with exchange 2003 off-box. Both unity servers are integrated into the same callmanager cluster. We were looking for an easy way to migrate users one at a time from the VMO box to the UM box. What's the best practice?

1 Reply 1

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

I was just investigating this option myself. If your Unity servers are digitally networked together, you can use Global Subscriber Manager to move a subscriber from one Unity to another. Here is some information from the online Help for the Tool, which is accessible from Unity Tools Depot - Administration - Global Subscriber Manager.

"Requirements/Special Notes

Requires Unity 3.1(2) or greater. Some features will only work on 4.0(1) or greater.

The user account you run this tool under must have rights to access the SA on all of the Home Servers of the users they wish to administer. Use the GrantUnityAccess tool to do this.

The user account must also have public and db_datareader rights to the UnityDB SQL server database on the Unity server you connect with for normal operation of the GSM. Operations that involve modifications to the database require the user be a member of the local administrator's group on the Unity server.

Move and Delete Subscriber work only for Exchange based Unity servers running 4.0(1) or greater. Domino is not supported. If any of your Unity servers are running version 4.0(1) you will need to follow the instructions in the section “If You Are Running 4.0(1) READ THIS 4” below before you will be able to move subscribers to your 4.0(1) servers. All systems that you plan to move subscribers to or from need to have their Commserver\Stream Files directory shared out as “Stream Files” with full rights to the user running the GSM.

Moving a subscriber requires the source and destination systems be in the same dialing domain and both systems should be operating normally.

Importing users requires the user running the GSM have extensive Active Directory permissions, use the Permissions Wizard to grant these rights." Although my servers are networked, I have not done all of the configuration instructions listed here - we are also on 4.0(5). Might be interesting to pursue. I didn't see anything mentioned in the online help for license pooling, which I think would help faciliate moving subscribers between servers. We are also investigating this for our servers.

Sincerely,

Ginger