Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound faxing with the new IP Fax Config Wizard

andreas.stumpf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured the *new* ip fax tool.

Inbound faxing is working fine!

But i have a few questions for outbound faxing:

- how should the mails be formated to be accepted by the faxservice (subject, body)?

- which attachments can be rendered (doc, pdf, ...)

- does anybody have a usable sample router configuration for outbound?

- how will the mails transfered from the outbound box to the router (via smtp?). Do I have to configure something on the exchange server?

thanks

Andreas

10 Replies 10

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The format of the subject line for both voice and fax messages handled by the service are covered in the help file for the tool - did you read through that? Check it out on its home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_IPFaxConfigurationWizard.htm

To send a fax to an inbound subscriber you can use this in the subject line:

[DNIS=2065554100][ANI=3175555555]

The ANI is optional there.

To send a voice mail to an inbound subscriber you can use the subject line:

[VMAIL][RECIPIENT=4100][SENDER=5555]

The Sender is optional there.

To send an outbound fax message from the desktop you can use this subject line:

[FAXPHONE=55555]

Any file attachment that you have a printer driver on the local Unity server can be rendered. You can adjust which extensions are rendered using the 3rd Party Fax Configuration Tool – by default it’s .txt, .bmp, .htm, .tif, .pdf, .doc extensions. You can add/remove from that list there. All other attachments will be stripped and listed in the body on the cover page.

of course i read through the documentation.

"To send an outbound fax message from the desktop you can use this subject line:

[FAXPHONE=55555]"

This is not in the documenation that is on the web!

Else i would have found it and wont ask you.

Are you sure that the latest version is published on the home page? Also the video link does not work.

Can you please go more in detail for the "printer driver". where from do i get a printer driver to render *.xls or *.ppt attachemnts?

yeah, looks like the help file that's posted (the same one in the install package) needs to be updated. We'll post an updated version of the tool with some bug fixes and updated help next week.

You don't need to get a printer driver for rendering attachments - all that would be necessary for rendering attachments on the Unity server is an application that can print .XLS files - in other words you'd want Excel installed on the box. The driver we install with the IP fax stuff will ask Windows what application is configured to deal with .XLS, for instance, and then it will "ask" that application to print the attachment using it's own printer driver that generates .TIF files. It's reasonably smart about doing this silently in the background and killing any dialogs that may pop up in this process for most known products (anything in the MS Office suite has been tested heavily).

and I'm not sure what you mean by "the video link does not work" - we tried it from the lab, from the corporate network and from my house this morning - all three places downloaded the video and played it fine. Perhaps you have a block on your network preventing the connection to the FTP site it's coming from? Just a thought...

tried to download it now from home. is working. seemed to be a corporate blocking...

I got inbound and outbound faxing working now.

i hope there will be a better documentation soon!

but i still have two issues:

- if the subject is not like [faxphone=...], the message will be deleted from the outbound mailbox. isnt this a very "user unfriedly" action?!

- i started the third party fax integration utilty and integrated for the ipfax.

When a new fax arrives in the inbox, the TUI does not tell me that i have a new fax - instead it tells me that i have a new email. is this ok?!

Well, we can't leave the message around and dealing eith NDRs is not trivial so we toast it. That's by design.

No, the message should show up as a fax. If you have fax mail turned on in the COS for those users and you have the 3rd party fax tool setup properly then they should show up in the fax stack, not the email stack. This is how it works on all the test boxes in the lab.

What's the message class on that message in the inbox? If it's IPM.Note then something is wrong. If it's IPM.Note.Fax then the user is probably not configured for fax.

COS has FaxMail turned on.

Message class of the fax is IPM.Note.Fax.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this?!

Another question. is it possible to use ipfax with a VM licensed installation?

in ciscopca it shows up as fax.

in TUI it is anounced that there is 1 new fax.

But then it plays it back as email via TTS, instead of giving the fax forwarding options.

Not sure what to tell you - we've never seen anything like that - if it offers you the fax and it's got the right message class and a TIF the conversation always offers the "8" option to send the fax here. I guess you'll have to go through TAC because no one here has seen anything like what you're describing.

Fax is not related to VM or UM so yes - you can run fax with a VM only installation.