Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Usage Analyzer

astectelecom
Level 1
Level 1

unity 3.15 ccm 3.3 tsp: 6.02b

hi, i'm trying to analyze busy ports. i down loaded the latest port usage analyzer from answermonkey.net and put it on the unity server and hit brose to take me to the logs folder. the logs folder came up but with no files in it but i clicked on open and c:\commserver\logs appeared in the data logs folder field, i selected the date and pressed load data. a box appeared saying "no port usage data found be sure you are running this tool against data files created by unity 3.14 or later". Well the system is a 3.15. looking closer at the logs folder, the data_avcsmgr... are all .txt extensions rather than .log i tried changing the extentions but it made no difference. Any idea what is going on ?

thanks

jim

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The files should say .txt.

and the selection menu there in the port usage analyzer doesn't show you the files, it only wants you to pick the directory where they live. If it's populating the drop down list with days/dates for logs then it's finding what it needs.

Did you try picking multiple days in the drop down? does it always say there's no data found?

What's the actual version string in the about box for the version of PUA you're using?

If it gives you that on all your days in the drop down, you can zip up some of the data_AvCsMgrxxx.txt files and email them to me at lindborg at cisco.com - I'll take a look at them here.

All it's doing is looking for certain trace events in the log (these traces are always on no matter what) - however the IDs for those traces have changed several times between 3.1(x) and the current version so I have to look for several of them - it's entirely possible I boo-booed the checks there in a later version.

I'm having the same problem: Pointing to correct directory (PUA found it on it's own anyway) still gives "No valid diagnostic files found in that directory...".

Unity is version 4.0(3.0) Port Usage Analyzer is version 1.0 build 61 (1.0.61).

Even the new help file states:

"The Port Usage Tool is looking for files named “data_AVCsMgr_*.log” so if ..." so there's a disconnect somewhere.

BTW, why can't text be typed or pasted directly into the "directory" field?

Thx.

not sure what to tell you - all cases that reported this turned out to be external to PUA - one site was actually putting logs in a different directory on a different drive - one site had a file crawler that was moving log files off to another off box storage location, etc... I just tried this on my release version of 4.0(3) with the same version of PUA (I haven't updated it in a while) and it works like a champ.

The best I can suggest is to go to the directory you selected, pull some of the data files you think have call data in them, zip them up and email them to me.

Thanks for your help Jeff...

Eureka!

It takes a bit of patience waiting for PUA to parse through thousands of log files! It takes a while, especially if the server is busy with calls!

PUA works locally on the server as well as from a remote location as long as the directory is mapped to a lettered drive and not through UNC, apparently.

Again, thx!