cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing an outbound access code in call manager....

Phillip Harding
Level 5
Level 5

All,

We are new to the Cisco VOIP system and are having issues with users dialing "911" by mistake from there phones.  Our outbound access code in the call manager is set to a "9".  Why is an outbound access code needed?  Can a regional dialing/routing plan be setup in the call manager thereby eliminating the need for an outbound access code.  I know in the old PBX days an access code was needed in order for the PBX to know if a call needed to be routed to an outbound trunk.  Has anyone else encountered a problem like this and what did you do to resolve it.  Please advise.  Thanks Phillip

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you change your T302 timer?  This is the inter-digit-timeout setting.  For example,  

if the timer is set to 4 seconds, the inter-digit-timeout would wait four seconds before sending the call.

If the urgent priority checkbox was checked, then the call would route as soon as the pattern was matched.

Using the T302 timer makes call manager wait until the timeout expires before sending the call.  If any other digit is enter after 911, it will match the pattern that you have set to block and return whatever tone you selected.

In my experience it has been perfectly acceptable to wait three or four seconds until an actual 911 call is routed.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jim Douglas
Level 1
Level 1

We have built out a few different translation patterns to limit the number of 911 misdials.

911 - Route the pattern and remove Urgent Priority

9.911 - Route the pattern and remove Urgent Priority and discard Pre Dot

911X - Block the pattern (any call with additional digits after 911 will not route to the PSAP)

9.911X - Block the pattern  (any call with additional digits after 911 will not route to the PSAP)

Since you remove the Urgent Prority tag, you will also need to decrease your T302 timer to ~4 seconds.  The default is 15 seconds.  This will ensure that valid 911 calls are routed to the PSAP as quickly as possible while still waiting out the inter digit timer for additional digits.

Of course, you need to check PSAP laws in your state.

Thanks for your response Jim!  I'll look into adding the suggested translation patterns.  We have sites throughout the Ohio area primarily I'll check the state laws regarding PSAP.  Have you ever considered eliminating the need for an outbound access code.  We use the interactive intelligence i3 system in our Indianapolis office where no access code is needed for an outbound line.  I was told this was not necessary because the i3 system uses a regional routing/dial plan table that accounts for any permulation or number a user may dial and when a match is found the call is routed accordingly.  Do you know why its still necessary on the call manager?  Seems like this was neccessary with the older PBX systems not may not need to be in today's VOIP systems.  Thanks again for your response!

Phillip

I have never worked at a site that did not want "9" as an access code for external calls.  I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as your routes were routing to the correct route list, but I have no experience implementing this.

I have implemented the 911 fix at several sites and it is a fix that nearly eliminates 911 misdials.

Okay that's what I figured just wishing thinking I guess.  Thanks again for all of your input!

Phillip

Hey Jim,

I have another question about the 9.911 route pattern and the urgent priority removal.  There seems to be a delay when I have our receptionist make a test "9911" call.  Any ideas why there might be a delay for this call on this route pattern when there are no delays for all other calls?  Thanks!  Phillip

Did you change your T302 timer?  This is the inter-digit-timeout setting.  For example,  

if the timer is set to 4 seconds, the inter-digit-timeout would wait four seconds before sending the call.

If the urgent priority checkbox was checked, then the call would route as soon as the pattern was matched.

Using the T302 timer makes call manager wait until the timeout expires before sending the call.  If any other digit is enter after 911, it will match the pattern that you have set to block and return whatever tone you selected.

In my experience it has been perfectly acceptable to wait three or four seconds until an actual 911 call is routed.

Phillip Harding
Level 5
Level 5

Hey Jim,

Yes I changed my T302 timeout to 7000.  Maybe its best for a brief delay since we have folks continuing to dial 911 erroneous.  Thanks Phillip

You should see a reduction in 911 calls.

I have one site that is set to 10 seconds.  A little hogh in my opinion, but it still works.