cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Repairing a Unity Server

rburkholder
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Unity server that has a bad location record. Unity has been running fine for sometime but it is now time to fix the server. TAC has suggested that the server has to be rebuilt. Any suggestions on exporting subscribers, streams, and passwords, then re-importing them once we've got a basic Unity server re-created? I don't think we can do DIRT as it may put the bad location record back in again (it is something we have to test yet).

Thanx

Ray.

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rebuilding the entire box because of a problem with the location object seems a little extreme to me... what version of Unity? What's the problem with the location?

When doing dbWalker we get:

1394:(error) the location object with the object ID={50B96990-74CE-4B5B-BFFE-0093A6D0E3E6} does not have a directory ID associated with it.

This means there is no object in the directory representing this object which can cause problems with networking features. Please contact TAC.

We are running 4.0.3

Thanx.

Ray.

First, do you have more than one Unity server on your network that you want to share information with? If not, I'd just leave it.

Also, you can try manually synching that information into the directory - this is usually a permissions issue (i.e. the directory monitor was not allowed to create an object in the locations folder during setup so we didn't get a directory Id back from AD).

You can do this by running "Setup.exe /sync" from the command line under \commserver\configurationsetup\ folder - this will ask the syncher to update objects in the directory, including the location object. If it fails, there will be some sort of information in the SQLSyncSvrxxx.log file it creates under \commserver\logs that will give us more information as to what's going on.

There is only one Unity Server. A number of different consultants tend to think that it is interfering with a proper backup of Unity. We are in the process of testing the recovery scenario to confirm or deny this. However, in light of future possible growth of the company, I'd like to remove this irritant. We are prepared to do what is necessary to do so.

I'm not sure if a directory sync will necessarily fix the problem.

Do you have access to case F228548? If not, I can paste the content into a follow up message. Hopefully the case notes will provide some background info regarding our situation and proposed solutions to-date.

And, yes, I agree we need to do something to get the location id created, and yes, due to some previous installation issues, this final installation wasn't adequately checked before it went into production.

Developers in the case notes suggested that the id is created during installation and no tools exist to re-create it outside of performing a new installation.

If, after reading the various notes, you think that setup.exe /sync will work, we'll give it a try.

Thanx.

Ray.

I'll have to check into the location object with the syncher - there's definitely a way to make the SQLSyncSvr attempt the creation (I do this with restores that add new location objects in tools like DiRT and FullDBImport). The synch passed by the configuraiton setup may not trigger the locations, though.

If all that's wrong is the location object didn't get created in AD, I can't see how this would be causing any problems with a backup. I don't have access to the case notes from here. I can check them in the morning.